Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - Feb. 19th - Too Little, Too Late!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
Feb. 19th - Too Little, Too Late!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Feb. 19th - Too Little, Too Late! Reply with quote

Sean Gilstrap fished in the 2nd Specktacular Gulf Coast Trout Series with me today. We grinded it out amidst the thick fog and a very tough bite the day after a full moon.

We could barely get into our first spot because of the low tide. We fished it hard for about an hour, but the conditions just weren't set up right so we had to relocate. After hitting 2 other spots with only a few small trout we decided it was time to just get somewhere and stay put and pray for the best.

The last spot was where I've caught a fair number of big trout in years past, but really haven't seen it cough up many big ones this year. None-the-less, it was set up well for the conditions and it would even be better once the incoming tide began. Sean caught a nice redfish right off the bat. Then I stuck a 16 inch trout and then he stuck a 17.5 inch trout. We were thinking it was getting ready to light up, but after 2 more hours we had only caught another couple of reds and 4 flounder. With the clock ticking we knew that we would need to catch our three big trout here because there was no time to run elsewhere.

At 4:15 Sean hooked up with a nice fish. We were thinking it was another big redfish. It ran straight towards me and after a good look I knew it was a big trout. By the time we got back to the boat there was only 7 or 8 minutes left to make it to the weigh-in which was about 15 minutes away. We took a few pictures and let Sean's 6 pound 6 ounce trout swim away. One of these days the stars will align and we'll catch our fish when it counts. Despite the fact that we couldn't make the weigh-in, we still enjoyed trying to out smart those trout in tough conditions. Corkies and Corky Devils were responsible for all of our fish today.

Congratulations to Greg Francis and Daniel Popovich with their first place stringer of 3 trout weighing 17.95 lbs. That's a huge stringer any day, but especially in those conditions. Most of the guys I talked to said that they only had 3 to 4 bites all day. Fortunately for some, they were the right bites at the right time.

Capt. Steve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: