Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - March 18th & 19th - Still Tough, But Looking Better!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
March 18th & 19th - Still Tough, But Looking Better!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: March 18th & 19th - Still Tough, But Looking Better! Reply with quote

I fished the past two days and there's just not much to report, but I think it's only fair to share the simple truth with those who read my reports.

March 18th - Cancelled Trip Turns Solo Scouting Mission
My customers had to cancel due to a family illness so I decided to go burn a bunch of cheap gasoline and look at some areas that should be turning on real soon. Starting at 11 AM I ran 3 different parts of the Galveston Bay Complex covering lots of water (over 80 miles round trip). Granted it was windy, but I really didn't see much activity. I think a lot of it had to do with the bright moon we had the night before. I only fished three of the dozen or so areas that I visited. My last stop was around 3:30 where I caught 4 redfish to 27 inches on a pink Skitterwalk. Keep in mind that I didn't venture to any areas where I've fished lately. My objective was to find productive areas off the beaten path and away from the crowds. I kept 3 of the reds to give to my uncle who loves to eat fish, but doesn't get to fish much this time of year.

March 19th - Final Leg of the Specktacular Tourney
Sean Gilstrap and I decided to do the hero or zero thing for this tourney. We knew we wouldn't get many bites, but we also knew that they would be big trout when we did. The area we fished coughed up a 5.5 pound trout for one of my good customers two days earlier and I knew of a 7.5 pounder that came from there a week before. I figured that with me and Sean grinding it out all day we could easily pick up the 3 trout we needed. Remarkably, we never caught the first trout. Our day ended with one undersized redfish and 3 flounder. The area that I almost went to yielded the first place stringer, but I knew it would be crowded and that's just not my style of fishing. Things are a lot different then they were 10 years ago when you could fish anywhere you wanted. Some of the areas that I used to fish are now covered up with boats on tournament day.

The good news is that our bay water temperatures are warming rapidly and these fish will start frequenting areas that are less likely to have heavy boat traffic. I've also seen numerous areas holding newly hatched shad which is encouraging. Usually we see the shad then the glass minnows and then the brown shrimp migration. All of this usually occurs in the second or third week of April, but this year I think it's happening a couple of weeks earlier.

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: