Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - April 20th - I'm Glad We Did!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
April 20th - I'm Glad We Did!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: April 20th - I'm Glad We Did! Reply with quote

After cancelling my trip Monday and watching the wind blow even harder on Tuesday I could only imagine what Wednesday had in store. The forecast said south winds 15 - 20 mph. As a rule of thumb you can add 5 - 10 mph to every wind prediction for better accuracy. I discussed the situation with Tim Gerdes and his son Lane at the boat ramp this morning as the flags on every pole were starched straight out. I expressed my concern with regards to catching very many fish while having to drift in a 20 mph wind and that there would certainly be better days. The problem was that Lane was only going to be in town for a few more days before heading back to San Diego where he is stationed in the U.S. Navy. Needless to say, we headed out to give it our best shot.

For the first couple of hours we drifted protected shorelines and back lakes picking up one big redfish and several decent trout along with some throwbacks. By 9 AM it appeared that the wind was subsiding somewhat. It was still blowing around 15 mph, but 15 mph seems calm compared to what we've been fishing in. I took a chance and made a long run to some areas out in the bay. The move paid off as Tim and Lane boxed their limits of trout to 20 inches by 1 PM. We spent the next couple of hours bouncing around trying to catch a few more reds, but only caught undersized ones and more trout. All of our fish were caught on Texas Roach Sea Shad Saltwater Assassins and pink Skitterwalks while drifting over scattered shell in 2.5 to 5.5 feet of water. Slicks and bait concentrations lead the way.

This was one of those trips that almost didn't happen. I'm glad we made the decision to give it a shot. A special thanks to Lane for serving or country with pride. He has done two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan. Godspeed and stay safe brother!

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: