Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - April 28th & 29th - No Breaks!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
April 28th & 29th - No Breaks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: April 28th & 29th - No Breaks! Reply with quote

April 28th -
After cancelling the 27th due to more high winds I was able to make a go of it with Jon, Craig and Randy on Thursday. Winds were pushing 20 mph out of the north-northeast during the first half of the day but we still managed to hook several reds, trout and a flounder. However, only the keeper flounder made it to the boat. The high pressure from the front the day before really had the fish locked up.

The wind gradually tapered off to basically nothing by 1 PM which was the first time I've seen that happen in weeks. As I was idling around some clam shell reefs looking for bait activity I noticed that my E-Tech wasn't sounding very healthy. Within minutes it coughed out a puff of white smoke and it never cranked again. I called a buddy to make the long drive to Trinity Bay to tow us in. In the meantime we worked the area with the trolling motor and scraped up 2 nice reds and one 17 inch trout. There were some other areas that I wanted to head to that I haven't been able to fish in weeks, but we were basically immobilized. It was a very frustrating day to say the least, but at least Jon and his guys stayed in good spirits throughout the whole ordeal. Red Shad Saltwater Assassin Sea Shads worked the best.

April 29th -
I ran a three boat trip with Chris Sizemore and his buddies in more brutal conditions. I had to run my Gulf Coast which I really don't like doing when it's really windy, but I had no choice in the matter. Hopefully I'll have my Whaler fixed by the end of this week.

Chris, Norm and Jim stayed tucked away tight to shorelines with me in the 20 - 25 mph SE winds. We hit quite a few prime areas without much to show for our efforts. We finally pulled the plug a little after 2 PM with one 3.5 lb. trout and one keeper redfish in the box. The only consolation was that Chris and his guys won the big trout and big red pot between the three boats which wasn't hard to do since our boat was the only boat to catch any keepers. It was an easy day to put up a skunk. Jim caught his red on a Morning Glory Saltwater Assassin and Norm's trout fell to a Red Shad Assassin. The water was very muddy with less than 2 inches visibility.

We cancelled the second day (Saturday) because none of us wanted to get beat up two days in a row for just a handlful of fish. I also cancelled today's trip (Sunday) because of wind gusts to 30 mph. It looks like more of the same for the first 3 or 4 days of this coming week with yet another front pushing through Monday evening. We're just not catching many breaks here lately. There are plenty of fish to be caught, but getting to them is nearly impossible when it's blowing 20 plus mph everyday. I apologize if my report sounds somewhat negative, but I dug real deep and just couldn't find a lot of positive things to say after the last four days. It will definitely get better. I just wish it would hurry up!

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: