Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - July 12th - 16th
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
July 12th - 16th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: July 12th - 16th Reply with quote

The past several days have been somewhat challenging because of the relentless southwest winds, thunderstorms and full moon. The fishing is still good overall. We're just having to work a little harder for them some days.

7/12/11 - Short Half Day
Keitt, Joyce, Francisco and Bernie toughed it out with me in stiff SW winds and off-colored water to scrape up 8 nice trout to 22 inches and some sand trout. We also hooked and lost 8 trout and two redfish. The opportunities were there, but the bite was tough. None-the-less, Keitt and his group are always fun to fish with. Dark colored Assassins worked the best while casting to slicks over shell in 6 to 7 feet of water.

7/13/11 - Quick Limits and an Unusual Catch!
Dave Pierce and his friend George made every bite count putting their 20 trout to 22 inches in the box before 10 AM. After that we headed for the back lakes to catch redfish. We only landed three of the 6 reds that we hooked, but I caught one that was 28 inches and had 69 spots on it. I've caught them with no spots and I've caught them with 15 or 20 spots, but never this many. Gold spoons and Limetreuse Sea Shad Assassins were responsible for all of our fish.

7/14/11 - Tough Wind Direction Again, but Made It Work!
Chris, Don and Rudy toughed it out in more sub-par conditions to box 8 solid trout to 24 inches and 4 redfish to 26 inches. We also kept some big sand trout for Don to cook that night. The slicks were there, but the bites were very few. A west wind can make you want to pull your hair out in this bay system. Most of the other guides I spoke with had zero to 3 fish in the box, so I felt pretty good about our "slow" day. 10W40, Texas Roach and Limetreuse Sea Shad Assassins were the go to baits.

7/15/11 - Paying the Price for Rain
The wind was cranking at 20 mph out of the west and there were storms all across the southern end of the bay when Jay, Scott, Peter and I left the dock. I took a chance by heading across the bay where we've been catching a lot of fish. My hopes were that the wind would lie down once the storms dissipated and the water would clear up. After almost two hours of waiting I had to do something different so I ran all the way back across the bay and finally found some fishable water not far of the shoreline. We cast to slicks over some scattered shell to scrape up 10 keeper trout to 20 inches and quite a few throwbacks. It wasn't what I had planned, but it saved our day. At least we got some much needed rain. All of our trout were caught on 10W40 Sea Shads.

7/16/11 - Galveston Redfish Series #2
Jake and I idled away from the boat ramp just after 6 AM hoping that the thunderstorms would give us a break long enough to put 2 fat slot reds in the livewell. Unfortunately, the worse storms were right over where we wanted to fish. We hung out in a fairly non-productive redfish area until almost 9 O'clock to give the lightening a chance to calm down. Once we arrived the hook-ups began. We caught between 10 and 15 reds and some nice trout in the pouring rain. The rain finally stopped around noon and the sun came out for brief periods which enabled us to see the mud boils. We worked four or five more schools while culling out or smaller reds before heading to the weigh-in around 2:30 to beat yet another big thunderstorm. It was an action-packed day with most of our reds coming on topwaters, but we never really caught the big ones we needed. Our two fish weight was 11.5 pounds which put us just out of the money for the second tournament in a row. Most of our reds were cookie cutter 24 - 25 inchers with our biggest measuring 26.5 inches. Our total standings should be pretty decent and we can still drop one tournament so all hope is not lost.

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: