Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - August 1st & 2nd - Trout One Day & Reds the Next!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
August 1st & 2nd - Trout One Day & Reds the Next!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: August 1st & 2nd - Trout One Day & Reds the Next! Reply with quote

August 1st - Waiting Them Out!
Steve, Roy and Kent got off to a slow start with me this morning because of the dreaded west wind, but their patience was rewarded with a nice box of solid trout. We only had 4 trout in the box by noon which were caught on Morning Glory Sea Shad Assassins drifting slicks in dirty water. Around 12 O'clock the wind started to subside somewhat and make a more southerly swing which resulted in a pretty good topwater bite. We cast to slicks and pods of bait in 3 to 4.5 feet of water catching over 60 fish with 26 of them being keepers up to 23 inches. MirrOlure She Dogs and Rapala Skitterwalks were our best topwaters. Color didn't mean anything. I always have a lot of fun fishing with Kent and his crew and today was no different.

August 2nd - Making the Most of a Short Half Day!
Once again the west wind was blowing 15 plus and had the water chopped up pretty good. I knew I had to make something happen in fairly short order because one of the guys had a meeting to attend in Houston. We made one drift across a reef and only picked up 5 or 6 sand trout before I was forced to switch our focus to redfish. I knew the wind would eventually get right, but the late-morning / early afternoon thing was not going to be an option on this day. By 8:30 I was on the trolling motor looking for reds. We finally got on a good school around 9 AM with Marty drawing first blood with his 25 inch specimen (his first keeper red ever). I put the PowerPole down and the guys hooked several more while landing a couple before the school went down. We continued to move around finding several other small schools and losing almost as many as we were landing. We headed in just after 11 AM with 4 nice trout and 7 reds to 26 inches on ice. We lost at least 4 other trout and 5 or 6 reds from spit hooks and break-offs and also released 3 reds up to 28 inches. Morning Glory Sea Shad Assassins and Johnson Sprite Gold Spoons did the trick on the trout and reds. As we were coming in the wind was dying down and making its switch from the south. The water across the bay was turning green and all I could think about was staying and catching trout, but doing that today was not in the cards. Oh well. I still had a fun morning as always with Mitch, Marty and Mike.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: