Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - August 8th - Making the Best of It!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
August 8th - Making the Best of It!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: August 8th - Making the Best of It! Reply with quote

Chris was down from Lubbock (Texas Tech) to join his brothers Owen and Wes for a little fishing while on their family vacation in Galveston. The conditions at the weather station in Galveston were SW winds at 17 mph gusting to 23 mph to start our day. We did get a little break in the wind around 7 AM when it died down to about 15 mph, but it cranked right back up by 8 O'clock forcing us to head for the back lakes. We did manage to pop one trout and some sand trout before heading for redfish territory. I filleted and diced up a couple of the large sand trout and Chris had the ceviche mix all ready so we could eat it for lunch.

On our way to one of my redfish spots we ran across some terns in open rough water and gave them a try. The fish under them were extremely skittish, but Owen did manage to catch a small ling under them before we moved on. Once we arrived to our redfish destination it was blowing a steady 20 mph with gusts to every bit of 25 mph and the water was muddy. We were still able to catch 7 nice reds to 27 inches along with several others that were just shy of the 20 inch mark. Chris also caught a 20 inch speck that was mixed in with the reds and a flounder that was right at 14 inches, but too close to take any chances.

All of our fish were caught on Morning Glory Salt Water Assassins and 3/4 ounce Johnson Sprite Gold Spoons. We had a lot more hook ups on the spoons, but lost 5 or 6 fish on them as well. I need to swap out the treble hooks with single hooks before my next trip.

This will be my last report until August 17th as I am going on our annual summer vacation with my family. My plan is to relax, play horse shoes and sip on a cold beer or two, but if the surf gets right again I might sneak out early one morning and give it a shot since we're staying on the beach this year. Best of luck to everyone who makes it out on the water. Thanks for reading!

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: