Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - Aug. 29th - 31st - Heat Wave!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
Aug. 29th - 31st - Heat Wave!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Aug. 29th - 31st - Heat Wave! Reply with quote

This past week we've seen temperatures topping the 100 degree mark on a regular basis. The water temperatures in the bays have steadily risen back up to the high 80's as a result. This combined with pretty weak tides have caused our bites to become mega soft again. We're still on tons of fish everyday, but we're having a difficult time keeping them on the hook. All of this will change when we get more rain which is supposed to be this weekend. As much as I hate to cancel trips, the sacrifice will be well worth it. Each of the last two times we've gotten rain the bite has gone nuts.

August 29th - Respectable Day!
Sal, Brian and Kyle (Scooter) made a few good trout and reds eat despite the stagnant early morning tide and hot water. 15 trout to 23 inches and two redfish to 27.5 inches found their way into the ice chest. Several good trout were lost during the battle including one really fat trout that went airborne on Sal. We're still catching tons of throwback specks and sand trout mixed in with the keepers. It's just that time of year. Limetreuse Sea Shad and rat tail Bass Assassins along with a few topwaters tricked our fish over shell in 6 to 8 feet of water. The best bite was on the tide change (going out) around mid-morning.

August 30th - Ditto!
Jimmie, Al and Chris got to experience more of the same. The only difference from yesterday was the number of keeper trout that pulled loose. I'm not sure how many we lost, but it was the most I've seen in a very long time. I personally counted 8 trout in the 2 to 3 pound range that I lost when they sky rocketed out of the water. Most of the bites just made our lines tight like we were hanging into oyster shell. We managed 14 trout to 23.5 inches and one 23 inch redfish and of course more undersized trout and sand trout than you could shake a stick at. Our best water depths were 7 to 9 feet while casting to what few slicks we saw. We threw the same lures as yesterday.

August 31st - Broken Record!
Brian (Triple), Jimmie and Mike got a bit of a late start with me this morning around 8 O'clock. I did more running around than I have been doing just to try and find something more consistent. It didn't seem to matter which area we fished. We would pull up to one spot and hook 3 or 4 trout and land 2 of them then nothing. I would work the area over with the trolling motor while chunking into good looking slicks, but not another bite then we'd move on and repeat the drill. We did this until 2 PM boxing 14 trout to 24 inches and 2 redfish. Limetreuse Sea Shad Assassins and pink Skitterwalks were our choice baits.

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: