Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - Sept. 19th - 24th - A Lot of Catching!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
Sept. 19th - 24th - A Lot of Catching!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Sept. 19th - 24th - A Lot of Catching! Reply with quote

9-19-11 - Early Storms, but Still Made it Work!
Richard, Pat and Frank were in from as far away as Marble Falls so we waited out thunderstorms for the first 3 hours of the day. The water was still off color when we finally started fishing around 9:30, but we still managed to put some trout in the box. Our trip ended with 17 trout to 21.5 inches and a couple of big sand trout. We also caught a lot of throwbacks. Morning Glory and Red Shad were the most productive Bass Assassin colors. A few were caught on topwaters as well.

9-20-11 - Scratching Out Limits!
Wayne and Scott popped a few trout early then capitalized on the late-morning feed to put their 20 trout to 21 inches in the box. We caught over 100 trout with most of them being undersized. Most of the better trout came on Skitterwalks with some of the smaller fish coming on Assassin Sea Shads in Limetreuse. The water started clearing up some, but the tides were still weak.

9-21-11 - Topwater Limits!
The bite over shell and other structure had kind of tapered off so Bill, John, Dave and I switched gears a little. We gave the reefs a shot early, but only caught a few decent trout on the dead tide before deciding to go fish the birds. The flocks were very skittish as they have been for the past month or so, but the guys grinded it out to get their 30 trout to 22.5 inches. Most of the fish fell prey to topwaters, but John and Bill did put on a pretty good clinic for awhile throwing Stanley Wedge Tails. Dave and I held our own with Skitterwalks.

9-22-11 - Non-Stop Action!
Reid, Rene and John caught fish at every stop to put their 30 trout to 23 inches and one 26" redfish in the box. Slicks and birds paved the way to their success. We threw topwaters, Bass Assassins and H&H Queen Cocahoe Minnows to catch our fish. It was just like the past couple of days except the quality of fish was a little better. Bull sharks are still lurking as I had about a 20 inch trout get bit off again. We've probably lost 60 or 70 trout this summer to hungry sharks.

The love bugs almost carried us off!

9-23-11 - Bachelor Party Dove Hunt
My buddy John with Cutting Edge Sportsman (www.cuttingedgesportsman.com) is getting married in a couple of weeks so the guys decided to take him on a dove hunt with Jim West. The morning hunt was slow, so Jim gave everyone a free afternoon hunt which everyone very much appreciated. After a great lunch at Al-T's in Winnie we were back hunting around 2 O'clock. The birds started flying pretty good around 4 and we ended up having a decent hunt. It was great to get together with a bunch of guys that I don't get to spend much time with anymore. John is a professional dog trainer so he took advantage of the opportunity to work with one of his client's puppies, Remi. Here's a photo of Remi with his first dove.

9-24-11 - Galveston Redfish Series Championship
Jake and I fished the 4th and final leg of the Galveston Redfish Series with hopes of at least winning our bracket (Eastern Bracket), but we felt good about our chances for winning even more. We got started fishing around 7:15 in beautiful conditions other than no tide movement. Our tides were supposed to be non-exsistent where we were fishing until about 2 PM so we knew it would be a grind until then. Sure enough, it started out very slow with us only popping a few decent trout and flounder until around 11 O'clock. I drew first blood with a small 23 inch red. I went ahead and put it in the livewell even though it wasn't tournament worthy. Jake then caught a 22 incher which he just went ahead and threw back. Over the course of the next 3 hours we caught in the ballpark of 35 redfish and they seemed to get bigger and bigger with each passing hour. It made sense because the tide was finally starting to trickle out and there was a minor feeding period taking place. We actually caught the 2 reds that we weighed in during the last 20 minutes of fishing. Unfortunately, Jake caught 4 barely oversized reds and I lost a solid upper slot red at the net. We still managed to win 1st place in the Eastern bracket with a 26.5 and 28 inch red that combined for 13.61 pounds. The Sabine boys kicked everyone's butt with a couple of 16 plus pound stringers. It was a fun series again this year and we took home a couple of paychecks so all is good. Our final Angler of the Year standing ended up at 15th out of 98 teams which is pretty strong in my book. We also caught around 15 trout and a 3 pound flounder mixed in with our reds over the course of the day. Our smallest red was 22 inches and our largest was 32 inches. Everything was caught on dark-colored Bass Assassin Sea Shads and gold Johnson Sprite spoons in 1.5 to 2.5 feet of water while casting to mud boils and slicks. Final results and photos will be posted in a few days at www.specktourney.com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: