Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - Oct. 11th - 16th - Great Week of Fishing!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
Oct. 11th - 16th - Great Week of Fishing!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Oct. 11th - 16th - Great Week of Fishing! Reply with quote

I had a few cancellations earlier in the week because of stiff winds caused by the recent cool front and I also had 2 cancellations by regular customers at the last minute, but when we did get out there it was pretty good stuff. I've been bouncing back and forth between Trinity and East Bays depending on the conditions and the crowds. We've mainly been fishing over oyster and clam shell and using birds as our back-up plan.

Oct. 11th - Perfect Weather - Perfect Results!
Luis, Albert and Oscar caught a lot of fish today in some of the best conditions we've had in awhile. They kept their limits of trout along with 4 redfish. Albert also released a 33 inch redfish. All of our fish were caught on Salt Water Assassins and topwaters in 3.5 to 6 feet of water over broken shell bottom.

Oct. 12th - More Great Action!
Brian Phillips, Kent Copeland and Calvin Copeland had another fantastic day catching their limits of trout and 4 reds to 26 inches. Various colored Assassins and topwaters tricked their fish. Calvin shot an awesome video of Brian catching one of his redfish which shows 4 or 5 other redfish following it to the boat. It's on the Hillman Guide Service Facebook page if you want to check it out.

Oct. 14th - 1st Place CCA Guides Cup!
Scott Maxwell, Epi Garza and Jeff Larson fished with me in this year's Guides' Cup. We worked our tails off to scrape up enough trout and reds for the weigh-in. The day after the front along with stiff north winds and high pressure made it a real challenge, but these guys found a way to make the right ones bite. We waded and drifted to catch 12 trout, two reds and one flounder. Bass Assassins were the most effective, but a few were caught on topwaters.

Oct. 15th - Free-For-All!
I haven't seen Galveston Bay this crowded in a very long time. Minh Tran, his son Chris and Minh's father fished with me in circus-like conditions. Because of internet message boards, beautiful weather and several tournaments, boats were stacked in every nook and cranny like cord wood. We were on some fish early, but I couldn't take it anymore so I made a long run to where I caught fish last week. The boats were just as bad there, so I did some mystery stuff. My temper probably got the best of me and as a result we didn't catch much. Our day ended with 6 trout, 3 slot redfish to 27.5 inches and some sand trout. Minh also caught and released a 41 inch redfish. Our fish were caught on Calcasieu Brew Sea Shad Assassins. I spoke with some of the other guides that waited out the crowds and caught 'em pretty good, but I just couldn't tolerate the crowds.

Oct. 16th - Easy Limits of Big Trout!
Long-time clients Steve Tuttle and Russell Knight had their limits of trout by 11 AM this morning. We started catching trout on our second drift of the morning and they were done after the 4th or 5th drift. We played catch and release for awhile before heading in with 20 trout to 24 inches and 2 nice reds in the box. Chicken-On-A-Chain and Limetreuse Assassin Sea Shads were the go-to baits in 5 to 6 feet of water over shell.

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: