Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - Jan. 7th & 8th - Redfish Galore!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
Jan. 7th & 8th - Redfish Galore!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Jan. 7th & 8th - Redfish Galore! Reply with quote

Happy New Year to everyone! I've been down in South Texas since New Year's Day trying to get some more venison for the freezer. As usual, we saw quite a few younger bucks that will be really good ones next year and the year after. There is one very mature 8 point that I've been wanting to get, but I never saw him from my bow blind. One of the game cams picked him up so I know he's still out there. I did manage to stick a hog and take a doe with a rifle before coming back home to fish for a few days.

Jan. 7th - Conditions were near perfect for Minh Tran, his son Chris and Minh's dad Ninh. There was zero wind, a decent outgoing tide and lots of active mullet. We did everything we could to make the trout eat, but they just weren't cooperative other than a 4 pounder that I was able to trick on a Maniac Mullet. I think the full moon had everything to do with them not eating. After about an hour of that I decided to make a long move. As we were headed across the bay I noticed some large areas of nervous water. I knew immediately that it was about to be showtime. Minh and his family would rather catch redfish anyway as he's indicated to me many times. I got on the trolling motor to get them into position. Armed with various colored Bass Assassins, they caught redfish ranging from 26.5 inches to 31 inches for almost 2 hours out of two different schools. They caught at least 25 reds and had triple hook-ups multiple times. They retained their slot limits and tagged two more that were just over 28 inches before hitting one more trout spot on the way to the ramp. The trout were there, but still not willing so we headed on in a little before noon which gave us plenty of time to get home in time to watch the Texans win their first ever playoff game. The Texans weren't sporting their "Battle Red" jerseys today, but Minh and his family apparently were.

Jan. 8th - I had a last minute cancellation so I made a phone call to Scott Medsger and another guy because I thought we would be able to light 'em up pretty good with calm winds and good tide movement. One of the other guys couldn't make it so it ended up being just me and Scott. The fog was the worst that I've seen it in a very long time. As a result we didn't venture very far from our launch site until it lifted around noon. By then the south wind had kicked up to about 15 mph which changed my game plan altogether. We still managed to catch 11 trout with only 8 of them being keepers and we lost several near the boat because of the very subtle bite. All of our fish came on limetreuse Assassins. I guess the full moon really had them locked up pretty good because most of the guys I spoke with only caught a handful as well.

I've already cancelled Monday and it looks like most of the week is going to be blown out with winds gusting to 25 mph on and off through Friday. There's one more week left in the regular deer season in Frio County. Hmmm.......Decisions, decisions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: