Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - Jan 27th - 29th - Flounder Frenzy!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
Jan 27th - 29th - Flounder Frenzy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Jan 27th - 29th - Flounder Frenzy! Reply with quote

Severe thunderstorms and strong NW winds caused me to cancel last Wednesday and Thursday. The wind subsided by Friday, but a dry front blew through Saturday morning bringing northerly wind gusts up to 30 mph and more high barometric pressure. I had some regular guys that had made a pretty long drive down to fish, so we toughed it out. Sunday morning greeted us with NE winds gusting to 21 mph, but only for a few hours. It eventually eased off and switched out of the SE at about 13 or 14 mph making for a decent half day trip. Overall, I’m very pleased with our weekend results given the conditions and the time of year.

Friday, January 27th - My good friends and regular clients Scott and Wayne met me at the ramp around 10 AM and we were fishing by 10:45. Our first drift yielded two keeper flounder as did our second and third drifts. We made a move and finally found a few trout holding on a mud and shell flat adjacent to a fairly deep gut. Each drift put a couple of fish in the box until we called it a day with 9 flounder, 8 specks, one redfish and two big sand trout in the box. Our fish were caught on various light-colored Bass Assassins and pink Maniac Mullets while bumping them off the bottom in 4 to 4.5 feet of water. Color streaks with active mullet pointed us in the right direction.

Saturday, Jan. 28th – A dry cold front was due to hit around 9 AM bringing high winds and high pressure. Richard, Larry and Kyle were coming in from a pretty good ways away so we hoped to get in at least 2 or 3 hours of fishing before the small craft warnings went into effect. As difficult as it is to believe, the forecast was off the mark. The wind was howling by the time the guys arrived at the ramp. We decided to go give it a shot and see what we could do in those conditions since we were already there. We made our first drift around 7:30 and Richard managed to stick a keeper trout. With waves crashing against the side of the boat and all of us getting sprayed with salt water, we made another drift. We continued this process for a couple of hours picking up about one fish every other drift. Occasionally, I would have to check the amount of water in the bilge and then check my sanity level for even being out in that stuff. By 10 O’clock or so I think we were all delirious and really just didn’t care anymore about being cold and wet. We just kept fishing. Surprisingly, the wind actually began to die down around noon. It was still blowing about 15 or 16 mph, but that seemed calm compared to the 25 to 30 mph winds from earlier. Subsequently, each drift became more and more productive until we wrapped it up around 5:30 with 25 fish in the cooler. Our box was comprised of 7 flounder, 15 trout, 3 redfish and 3 big sand trout. Limetreuse and Calcasieu Brew Sea Shad Assassins were our best baits. Richard also caught a nice flounder on a Maniac Mullet which was his first fish on that lure.

Sunday, Jan. 29th – J.T., Jason and Ed started out drifting with me in 21 mph NE winds, but I really wasn’t all that worried about the wind or not catching fish after what we accomplished the day before. The bite was about the same as it has been with us popping a fish or two on every drift. The difference today was our inability to keep them on the hook long enough to get them in the net. Between the 4 of us we lost around a dozen fish. Not unlike yesterday, the wind eventually gave us a break and the weather turned out really pleasant. Unfortunately, we couldn’t stay on the water as long to see what the late afternoon bite had in store. None-the-less, we ended up with another variety pack consisting of 9 trout, 2 reds and 7 flounder. This was the second time J.T. and his crew have fished with me and we’ve managed to do pretty well both times despite the challenging conditions. Limetreuse was the best color today.

Thanks for Reading!
Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: