Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - March 13th - 15th - Inconsistent Catching!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
March 13th - 15th - Inconsistent Catching!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: March 13th - 15th - Inconsistent Catching! Reply with quote

Wind and rain kept us off the water late last week and on into the weekend. Monday was really the first decent weather day, but my customers ended up canceling.

March 13th - I finally got back on the water on Tuesday with Greg Morby and his two sons Carter and Dawson. With all of the Spring Break boat traffic I took them to some out-of-the-way locales. The bite was very inconsistent as it has been lately, but we still managed 3 trout to 4.5 pounds and one 22 inch redfish in our half day trip. We also caught some throwbacks, sand trout and a drum. Losing 3 or 4 fish didn't help our end results any either, but at least the ones we caught were solid fish. Most of our fish came on Skitterwalks with a few coming on Calcasieu Brew and Chicken-On-A-Chain Bass Assassins. We fished over sand, grass and shell in 2.5 to 4 feet of water.

March 14th - Greg, Carter and Dawson fished with me again to see if we could do a little better than the day before. It was a grind once again, but the results were a little better with them bringing home 5 reds and 4 trout. We also caught a handful of throwbacks and I jumped off two decent trout when they went airborne. Everything was caught on Chicken-On-A-Chain Assassins wading the same types of areas as the day before. We fished until 4 O'clock and everyone went home satisfied with our two days on the water.

March 15th - Vince, Sam and Sam's son Matthew joined me for an afternoon trip. We started out drifting one of my wading areas. We immediately started catching sand trout. Then Vince landed a decent speck. Towards the end of our drift Sam caught a 17 inch flounder. I'm thinking to myself that we're going to have a pretty darn good afternoon picking up 2 or 3 fish per drift. As nice as that would have been, it never happened. We fished the rest of the day until almost dark and only hooked and lost a couple of fish and had maybe 6 or 7 other legitimate bites. It was very frustrating for me, but Vince, Sam and Matthew hung in there with smiles on their faces the whole time. Vince has been on some great trips with me, but this was Sam and Matthew's first so I felt really bad for them. It was yet another one of those days where there was nothing you could do to make the fish cooperate.

After talking to many other guides and friends who struggled as well I decided reschedule my March 16th and 17th trips. I just can't justify taking folks out to catch a handful of fish. The water temperature was up to 75 degrees when I got off the water Thursday, so hopefully this transitional period won't last long and we'll get back to catching very soon.

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: