Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - March 22nd - 29th - A few Big Trout!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
March 22nd - 29th - A few Big Trout!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: March 22nd - 29th - A few Big Trout! Reply with quote

I've been on the water 6 out of the last 7 days with clients searching for a consistent bite. We haven't been able to put any winning streaks together, but at least the trout we're catching are very solid. We've had several over 4 lbs., one over 5 lbs. and another just under 6 lbs. All of our larger trout were photographed and released. Along with our trout, we're popping a few keeper redfish and flounder. Almost everything has come on Bass Assassins in a wide variety of colors ranging from Calcasieu Brew to Red Shad.

As far as location goes I've fished East, West, Lower Galveston and Trinity Bay in the past week and all have produced about the same. The pattern has varied as it usually does this time of year. One day we'll catch a few wading shorelines with hard bottom and the next day we'll stick a few drifting over mud and shell in 6 feet of water. The trout have been popping slicks more and more recently which is a promising sign.

The trout are feeding on juvenile shad, glass minnows, mullet and pin fish. The brown shrimp in our bay usually do not begin their migration until the 3rd or 4th week of April, but I don't foresee having a big push of brownies this year because of last year's drought conditions. I hope I'm wrong, but don't expect to see a lot of birds working this spring. The fall white shrimp crop will probably be a different story due to the timing of recent heavy rains, but I guess we'll worry about that when the time comes. For now, I'm just ready to get on a steady bite and I know my customers are. It's coming soon and boy are we ready!

Thanks for Reading!
Capt. Steve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: