Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - April 5th - Unpredictable Weather!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
April 5th - Unpredictable Weather!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: April 5th - Unpredictable Weather! Reply with quote

I headed into Monday with high hopes of getting in a full week of fishing in based upon the weather forecast. At 4 AM Monday morning I checked the wind and radar as always and everything looked fine other than some rain showers down around Matagorda. I had the boat in the water by 6:15. As we were idling away from the ramp my marine weather alert went off on my Garmin. I pulled up the detailed information and the radar to take a look. The rain showers from 2 hours earlier had now turned into severe thunderstorms and were just 30 miles away moving at 40 mph in our direction. We pulled the boat out and went and had breakfast to let the storms pass. More than two hours later it was still raining and lightening. The wind behind the storms was gusting to 25 mph. Instead of waiting for another few hours we decided to cancel. Tuesday and Wednesday were also forecasted to be fishable, but the forecast was way off the mark again resulting in more cancellations.

April 5th Jimmy Hill and his son Jimmy who was in from Michigan found a rare good weather window. We were all very excited as we loaded up that morning. There were no threats of storms and the wind was very light out of the west. The forecast for the day was west to 5 mph then switching over to the south at 5 mph. Well, the weather man continued his losing streak because by 7AM it was blowing 15mph out of the west and by 9 AM it was cranking at 21 mph. We stayed and fished in it since we were already out there and grinded out 7 good trout ranging from 18 22 inches. We caught one throwback and lost several as well. It was a miracle we caught anything in those conditions so we were somewhat satisfied. All of our trout were caught on Red Shad 5 Bass Assassins rigged on 1/8 ounce jig heads while casting to slicks over shell in 4.5 to 6 feet of water. The water temperature was 73.5 degrees and the visibility ranged from 2 to 6 inches.

Im taking off Good Friday through Easter Sunday to relax and spend time with my family. I hope everyone has a Happy Easter!

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: