Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - April 30th - May 5th - Fun Times!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
April 30th - May 5th - Fun Times!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: April 30th - May 5th - Fun Times! Reply with quote

April 30th - After recharging my batteries for the past 4 days I was more than ready to get back on the bay. Larry and Fred ventured out with me amidst 15 - 20 mph winds to scrape up 14 trout to 4 pounds on their half day trip. Red Shad Assassins worked the best while drifting open bay shell.

May 1st - It was tough fishing for Wayne, Buzzy and Nick drifting in sustained 20 mph winds. They managed to box 10 really thick trout with Buzzy's being the biggest at 24 inches. Red Shad, Glow and Limetreuse Sea Shad Assassins were thrown over shell in 4 to 6 feet of water.

May 2nd - Robert, Reid and Eric joined me to fish in near perfect conditions. It seems like we're getting about one day per week right now when the wind is down and today was that day. The water was still very dirty, but the guys picked off 19 trout to a little over 5 pounds (released) before heading in at 1:30. Robert and his brother Reid have been fishing with me for the past 5 years and they always seem to do pretty darn good in the catching department. Sometimes Reid has the hot hand and other times it's Robert. Today Robert just flat out put on a clinic. The guys made fun of me because I only caught 3 trout, but I told them it was because I was too busy netting their fish. I thought that's the way it's supposed to work anyway. It's always a hoot with these guys. Red Shad and Glow Assassins did the trick again. Reid also caught one trout on a topwater.

May 3rd - Some days the trout just won't cooperate and today was one of those days. The wind was blowing a lot harder than what was in the forecast, but we still had tons of good slicks popping up all over the reefs. The tide movement wasn't great, but it was good enough. We just couldn't make it happen and everyone else I talked to said the same thing. Kent, Steve and Matt went in with seven 2 to 4 pounders in the box.

May 4th - After a slow day yesterday and staring an 18 mph wind in the face again today I just knew it was going to be tough. However, Chris, Rozz and Brian didn't let the conditions get in the way of their catching. We immediately got on some fish that were hungry and had 22 trout 4 lbs. in the box by 10 AM. The wind and the boat traffic got really bad so we decided to go look for redfish. The water in the areas we tried was filthy so we decided to head in early. Red Shad Assassins caught all of our fish.

May 5th - I fished the Tails & Tunes tournament (artificial division)with Jake White, Randy Shipley and Charlie Simon today. We needed 3 big trout and 2 redfish for the weigh-in. The conditions were windy and the water clarity was poor where we chose to fish, but we still did good....kind of. We waded shallow early and caught 8 trout to 4.5 lbs. along with a 28.5 inch red that weighed 9.5 pounds (released). At 10 O'clock we headed for redfish waters. It didn't take Randy long to pop a 27 inch 7 pound redfish. We caught a few more trout with Randy tricking another one that weighed just over 6 pounds, but we still needed that second redfish. Finally Randy hooked up with a nice upper slot red only to have his line break. We were running out of time and frustration was starting to set in when I hooked up with a red. It felt decent, but that was only because my topwater was hooked in the side of its head. I think it was close to 20 inches, but I threw it back. Ten minutes later I looked over my shoulder and Randy had another good size red on. It pulled loose about half way in. The only thing we could get our fish to hit on all day were topwaters, but I decided to switch back to a 1/4 ounce spoon to give it one last shot. I hooked a really nice red on my 3rd cast and then guess what happened. I couldn't believe it. The factory hooks on Johnson Sprite spoons are horrible. I usually change them out, but this was one I just pulled out of the package as an afterthought. It was time to head to the weigh-in with our 21 pounds of fish (3 trout & ONE red). We (team "Control Your Fish") ended up in 10th place with 21.08 pounds. The first place team had 27.48 pounds with five fish. One 6.5 pound red and we would've been $7,500.00 richer. It's going to take me awhile to get over this one. Congrats to team Fish West End III (Steve Soule, George Knighten, Daniel Popovich & Charlie Bell) for their first place finish in the artificial division and to Chad Wright's team (team Wright Transmission) for their win in the live bait division.

Thanks for Reading!
Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: