Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - May 29th - June 3rd
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
May 29th - June 3rd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: May 29th - June 3rd Reply with quote

I cancelled my three trips leading up to Memorial Day weekend due to high winds and then took a break after that to avoid fishing in the crowds. From what I heard there was only one really good day which was the Sunday before the holiday. It doesn't sound like I missed much and I got to hang out with my wife and daughter. I hope everyone else had a wonderful Memorial Day.

May 29th - Long-time customers Charlie, Steve and Nick hit the water with me amidst pretty stiff SSW winds. The forecast was wrong again. We fished mainly protected waters to scrape up 4 solid trout and their limits of big redfish. We also released a few other reds. It was a good day given the circumstances. Texas Roach and Red Shad Sea Shad Assassins worked while chunking at small slicks over shell.

May 30th - My good friend Billy Gilliam and I fished the 21st Annual Pasadena Police Fishing Tournament in the open division (artificial) again this year. We've fished in it 4 years in a row and won it 3 times. We wouldn't be so lucky this time as we couldn't catch a trout over 3 pounds. Our reds were up to 7.25 pounds so that helped a little. I won 4th and Billy took 5th. We missed first place by a little over a pound. The weigh-in consisted of 2 trout and one redfish per person. My 3 fish weighed just under 12 pounds and Billy’s weighed just under 11 pounds. It was a lot of fun as always and I'm sure we'll hit it again next year. Our fish were caught on topwaters and various colors of Bass Assassins.

May 31st - Cancelled wind and rain

June 1st - Russell and Sam fished the American Association of Drilling Engineers (AADE) Tournament with me this year. There were over 100 boats in the tourney and 2 other tournaments going on at the same time. Needless to say it was like fishing at Walmart. The forecast called for calm winds then going east at 5 mph. Much to our surprise it was slightly off the mark. The winds blew NW then NE at 20 mph for the first 4 hours of the morning. It finally died down around 10:30 and got right. The problem was that the tide movement was non-existent by that point. We stayed in very remote locations in order to avoid the crowds and caught our trout and redfish, but nothing big enough to compete. Our largest trout was only about 3 lbs. and our largest redfish was around 7 lbs. Red Shad and Limetreuse Assassins were our baits of choice.

June 2nd - Minh, Chris, John and Kendal fished with me in very good conditions. The tides weren't great, but the winds were light out of the south all morning. Unfortunately, it was a Saturday on Galveston Bay and there were 4 to 5 tournaments going on as well. I haven't seen that much fiberglass on the bay in a long time. Once again we tried to catch our fish in off the beaten path areas and once again it didn't really work out. The boats that joined the armada did pretty good especially the ones throwing live croaker and shrimp. We stopped trout fishing around 11 O'clock with two trout in the box and switched our focus to redfish. Minh and the guys really enjoy catching (and eating) reds more anyway. We landed 10 reds up to 27.25 inches (8.25 lbs.). We kept 8 of them and let the biggest go free. Assassins and gold spoons worked best.

June 3rd - Curtis, Rhonda and Larry fished with me for three hours until the wind just became unbearable (gusting to 20 knots). We pulled the plug at 9:30 and headed in with four 16 to 20 inch trout in the box. Our four fish were caught on Red Shad Sea Shad Assassins while drifting 90 mph over slicks.

It looks like the wind may get us again tomorrow, but Tuesday and Wednesday are looking good based on our old trusty forecast. Hopefully we'll get back on some good trout again. Some of the areas I checked out last week are getting ready to bust open. I'm seeing some really good signs and I'm a little excited about it.

Good Luck!
Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: