Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - July 2nd & 3rd - Early Bite!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
July 2nd & 3rd - Early Bite!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: July 2nd & 3rd - Early Bite! Reply with quote

July 2nd - My good friend and regular client Haley Matthews joined me and brought along his two sons, Tucker and Tanner for their first artificial fishing trip. We started out in an area where I've been catching a few, but the conditions (I thought) should've been good for more than "a few" on this particular morning. Tucker and Tanner caught the first two keeper trout and it looked like the bite was getting ready to happen. We only caught 2 more keepers and some throw-backs before I decided to go look around. As we were idling away a group of birds started working out over scattered shell. What a perfect time for Haley's two boys to get really hooked up. Unfortunately, as I was TROLLING over to the school two idiots in a shallow running boat with no trolling motor cut in front of us with their outboard running and pushed the school down. It never ceases to amaze me what a grown man will do to catch a fish. At any rate, I decided to hit some other areas where I've been fishing and it paid off. We caught another 11 trout to 4 lbs. before heading in with 15 in the cooler. Tanner caught the two biggest trout (23 & 23.5 inchers). There were quite a few lost and quite a few undersized specks caught, but overall we had a blast and the trip was a success. Most of our trout were caught on Salt Water Assassin Sea Shads and a few were caught on topwaters. Had I gone straight to where I've been fishing we would have caught a lot more. The bite was very early and we basically missed it because I tried to do something different.

July 3rd - Jim, Mike and Gwen made their annual trip with me. We seem to do very well every year on trout and redfish, but today would be a bit below par compared to the past few years. I wanted to get them on fish immediately. Not wanting to waste any time, I went straight to one of my most productive areas. We started our first drift with only one other boat nearby (about 200 yards). Before we finished our drift there were 10 boats behind us so it was on to plan B. We caught one 20 inch speck at our second stop. The trout were slicking pretty good, but we had lost our tide movement. After grinding that out for an hour or so we headed elsewhere. We picked off a few cookie-cutter 23 inch trout before the bite totally died so it was off to hunt for redfish. I found 2 small shallow-water schools I'd been playing with for the past few weeks, but we had a tough time catching up with them on the dead tide. Jim did manage to stick one 26 incher however. We hit one other area on the way in and picked up another 22 inch trout before heading in with 10 trout and one redfish in the box. It was a slower than usual day on the water, but we did have a few shots at them. The bites were horribly soft and the boat traffic was almost unbearable. All of our fish came on Limetreuse and Plum Assassins fished over scattered shell in 4 to 7 feet of water. We also caught quite a few undersized trout and about 5,000 sand trout. It's always a great time with Jim, Mike and Gwen. I just wish it would've been a little faster paced.

I'm taking off a few days around the holiday to fix some things on the boats and spend some time with the family. I hope everyone has a wonderful July 4th holiday!

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: