Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - July 5th - 13th - Catching Between Storms!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
July 5th - 13th - Catching Between Storms!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: July 5th - 13th - Catching Between Storms! Reply with quote

July 6th - I took a break from fishing on July 4th and 5th and had planned to stay off the water for a few more days, but the weather was just too nice not to go. I hadn't taken my little girl, Brooke, fishing in a couple of years so she jumped in the boat with me to do a little scouting. We started fishing around 9 AM and Brooke caught the first keeper speck which was about 19 inches. I netted her fish and took a picture then released it. No sooner than I was settled in at the back of the boat fishing she was hooked up again. This time it was with a redfish. We proceeded to hit 6 or 8 different spots that I'd been wanting to check on and we caught fish at every one of them. We fished until 12:30 and only saw a couple of other boats way off in a distance. We landed 8 specks to 4 lbs. and one 23 inch red, but only kept 3 trout and the redfish. Brooke lost a really big redfish and we both lost a few trout. We also caught a bunch of sand trout and throwback specks so she had plenty of action. All of our fish were caught on Limetreuse Sea Shad Assassins while drifting over scattered shell in 9 to 12 feet of water. We rolled into Topwater Grill just in time for lunch. We had them fry the fresh redfish which was delicious to say the least. What a wonderful day it was in more ways than one!

July 7th I was going to take off yet another day but Jody, who was in with his family from Nacogdoches, called me and wanted to get in a short half day of fishing so I obliged. I figured it would be an easy morning with just one guy and wed get in early. Boy was I ever wrong. The forecast was ridiculously wrong and the catching was very, very tough. The stiff west wind had the bay tore up for the first half of the day and the bite was almost non-existent. The wind finally subsided, but we never could really get anything going. We grinded hard for 6 nice trout, a bunch of sand trout and some throwback trout. At least Jody was able to catch his first ever speck. We caught our fish on Salt Water Assassins and Rattle Traps while drifting slicks in 6 to 10 feet of water over shell and mud.

July 9th The southwest wind and frequent thunderstorms allowed Steve, Michael and Charlie to only get in about 4 hours of fishing, but they certainly made the best of it. They ended up with 17 really healthy specks on a morning when none of us expected much. Red Shad and Texas Roach Sea Shad Assassins worked best in the dirty water.

July 10th Cancelled because of severe thunderstorms

July 11th Jeff and Kenny waited all day for storms to clear before we were finally able to hit the water around 3:30 PM. Jeff came in all the way from near Plano, Texas to catch some trout and reds otherwise we would have cancelled the trip all together. The west wind was still cranking when we got out there and there were still storms brewing all around us. The water was very off-color as well, but we still managed to scrape up 4 trout to 3 pounds and off course a ton of sand trout. They also caught 8 or 9 specks that were just shy of legal. Its a miracle we caught anything in those conditions. We needed the rain, but the short-term sacrifice is grueling!

July 12th Bad storms again. Met at the ramp, but never put the boat in the water.

July 13th - We had to wait until 6:30 to dump the boat in the water because of storms. By the time Richard, Buzz and Lloyd started fishing the conditions were near perfect. It was a little slow at first with the guys popping two or three trout per drift. By our 7th or 8th drift it was one of the best bites Ive seen all year. I just put my rod in the rod holder and netted their fish. We left them biting at 10:30 to beat the storms. They were catching and releasing at that point anyway because they already had their limits of trout to 23 inches. We didnt quite beat the storms however. The ride back to the ramp was quite an adventure, but we obviously made it. It was these guys first time to fish with me and what a great group of fishermen. Not only that, but they were a lot of fun to fish with. Hopefully, well get to do it again sometime. Red Shad was by far our best color.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: