Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - July 16th - 27th - It's All Wind Related!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
July 16th - 27th - It's All Wind Related!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: July 16th - 27th - It's All Wind Related! Reply with quote

The past 9 days have been back and forth and our success has been directly related to how hard the wind blows and from which direction. The direction is probably the biggest factor. There were a couple of days when it was almost due west at a pretty good clip. We basically just had casting practice on those days with very little to show for our efforts. The wind was blowing SW on others and our results were better. The calm days and ones with south or southeast breezes were by far the best. Most of our fish (trout & reds) are falling prey to Salt Water Assassins, but topwaters have also produced well on occasion. Slicks over deep shell is still the main pattern, but we did catch some out of birds and up shallow for a few days as well. This was mainly because recent rains had cooled the water off and also pushed a new crop of white shrimp out of the marshes. Overall, I'd give trout fishing here on Galveston Bay about an 8 right now when the conditions are right.

July 16th - Rolfe and Billy got on a good trout bite under pretty much perfect conditions and had their limits to 4 pounds by 8:30 and released several others up to 25 inches.

July 17th - Haley and Scott had their limits of very nice trout by 9:45 so we decided to do something different and head for the beach. Our goal was to find a ling or tripletail. We spotted a ling at our second stop, but never made a cast to it because a big pod of tarpon surfaced within a hundred yards of my boat. I called another guide buddy (Robby Mielsch) out there and we intercepted them. They were swimming right under our boats but we never got one to eat our Bass Assassins. One of Robby's customers, however, did hook up. He fought about a hundred pound tarpon on spincast gear with 10 lb. test for 45 minutes before finally breaking off. We hit them several more times, but never got hooked up. It sure was fun to watch though and we got some good video. There is a video on the Hillman Guide Service Facebook page.

July 18th - Took off because it was me and my lovely wife's anniversary. I got caught up on a few things then had an unbelievable dinner at Killen's Steak House over in Pearland. Best steak I've ever eaten.

July 19th - I had a two-boat trip with some great guys that fished with me a couple of months ago. Clayton, Wayne and Adam were on my boat and Chris and Steve were on Mike LaRue's boat. The SW wind got us as well as the boat traffic, but overall it was still good. We fished a half day and came in with 15 trout and one redfish. LaRue's guys did about the same so the trip was successful. LaRue had already cleaned his fish so just our fish our pictured below.

July 20th – West and his son Quinn went out with me in very adverse conditions. The wind was cranking at close to 20 mph straight out of the west. We grinded hard in several different areas before finally deciding to try it again on a different day. We did manage to catch a few nice fish however. Our total creel was 2 gafftop, a ladyfish, 2 very small sand trout and a bonus hardhead. We lost two specks right before we came in, but overall, it was a wasted effort.

July 21st – This was our second year for the Dianal America corporate employee appreciation tournament in which I host. Last year we held it in June and it was very windy so this year we pushed it back to July in hopes of a calm day. Someone in this tourney must have made the wind gods angry because the wind was horrible once again. We were hoping for a small window of opportunity to catch more than just a few fish, but never got it. I had 12 boats in it and all are who I consider to be some of the best guides we have here on Galveston Bay. Half of the boats fished with live bait and half fished with lures. Everybody did about the same with a handful of the live baiters pulling in a few more fish. There were roughly 60 trout, 15 redfish and several flounder brought in out of all of the boats. Kurt Sauer’s team won heaviest stringer (4 trout & 1 red) with almost 24 pounds. Brad who was on my boat won first place big red with his 25.5 inch 7.25 lb. red. Topwater Grill out did themselves on the food once again and Bill Pandolph and Robert Smith did another great job as the weighmasters. Thanks to all who helped make it another fun and successful event.

July 22nd – Adam, Ashley, Kathi and Robert Hawn got a late start with me after waiting on the wind to become manageable. We looked for some of the open water schools of redfish that I’ve been messing with for the first hour or so, but never saw any. We started trout fishing around 10 AM with little success. The wind had died down to about 10 knots, but it was still coming out of the west which kept the bite shut down. After 2 hours of slow action we finally got on a few fish and came in with 11 trout to 23 inches. This was my last trip with Adam and his family for a while as he is moving to Tampa as an Army recruiter then will most likely get called back to Afghanistan. God Speed Adam and thank you once again for your service!

July 23rd – Haley Matthews and his son Tucker had to work for the trout a little, but eventually boxed their limits of very nice trout by 12:30. We worked 5 or 6 different areas catching a handful at each stop. Slicks over deep shell and birds pointed us in the right direction.

July 24th – Matt, Greg and Rick got an early start with me in very good conditions. The catching was pretty easy and these guys are great fishermen. It’s nice to have an easy day once in a while.

July 25th – The return of a stiff SW wind made the trout fishing difficult for Bill, Shawn and John, but the redfishing was pretty darn good. Thank God for redfish!

July 26th – Cancelled because of 20 mph SW wind.

July 27th – The wind backed off some, but it was still out of the southwest. A dead tide didn’t help much either, but Robert, Gage and Ryan still caught a nice mix of trout and redfish. The best bite was in our last hour of fishing when the tide started creeping out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: