Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - Sat July 28, 2007 Galveston Redfish Series
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
Sat July 28, 2007 Galveston Redfish Series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Sat July 28, 2007 Galveston Redfish Series Reply with quote

Jake and I fished in the Galveston Redfish Series today. The weather forecast was less than desirable, but it actually turned out really nice for the most part with only a few rain showers.

Our first stop was a windward shoreline with active bait pushed close to the bank. We started casting around 6 AM and began catching really nice trout on topwaters. At 6:30 AM Jake finally hooked into a nice redfish that ended up being 26 inches and just under 7 lbs. That was a great start. Now we just needed one more red that size or larger and we knew we could be in the money (the weigh-in consisted of 2 slot redfish 20-28 inches). We continued to catch trout after trout on topwaters, so I switched over to Berkley Gulps and started catching 2 to 4 lb. flounder. I finally hooked a small red that was around 4 lbs only to lose it after a brief fight. Jake continued to catch more trout on topwaters.

We decided to make a move around 10 AM to try to get our second red. We ended up hitting several other areas with no luck. The wind had died down some, so we went back to our first spot. Again, we started out with topwaters and again we were catching trout up to 24 inches. We switched over to gold spoons and started catching more solid trout until finally Jake hooked into a fish that stayed down and was stripping drag. It ended up being a 24 inch red that weighed just under 5 lbs. We caught a few more flounder, trout, and small reds before heading to the weigh-in.

Jake and I finished in 7th place with our two reds which weighed in at 11 lbs. 9 ounces. All the fish we caught today were released including the redfish we weighed in. Congratulations to Mark Kimbrough and Eric Crainer with their 16 lb. 6 ounce winning stringer. Final results will be posted soon at www.specktourney.com/ja
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: