Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - Tuesday August 28, 2007 A Little Sunshine & Lotta Fish!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
Tuesday August 28, 2007 A Little Sunshine & Lotta Fish!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Tuesday August 28, 2007 A Little Sunshine & Lotta Fish! Reply with quote

I met Bill Gilliam, Rolfe Shaumburger, and David Guidry at the ramp this morning around 6 AM to watch a pretty impressive light show in all directions across the sky. We sat, watched and pondered for almost 1 1/2 hours before Rolfe said, "let's just go fishing." Possibly against my better judgment, we put the boat in and headed to our spot. There were storms literally all around us, but believe it or not, none of them ever got us (other than a light sprinkle here and there). There were a few slicks popping up, but nothing like it has been. We started catching undersized trout with a few keepers mixed in, but it was generally pretty slow fishing. The tide was barely coming in and the wind was NW due to the storms all around us. By 8:30 AM we only had 6 trout and a 24 inch black drum in the box. Slicks were still popping up, but all we could catch were throwbacks. The tide was basically slack by now. I wanted to wait it out for the tide to start going out knowing full well that the larger fish were there. Finally, around 9 O'clock, the tide started slowly trickling out. All of the sudden, those 14.5 inch trout turned into 17 to 22 inch trout and we had our 3 man limit of 30 trout by 10 AM. We caught and released another 20+ trout before heading for our redfish spot. We threw topwaters for reds in 6 inches to 1.5 feet of water only to catch a 19 incher before heading to the ramp.

All in all it was a fun morning spent with three guys who kept me in stitches with their wise cracks and off-the-wall sayings. I always have a blast fishing with Bill and Rolfe. Their friend David was no different. All of our trout were caught drifting in 9 to 12 feet over mud and shell while throwing 10W40 Salt water Assassins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: