Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - Feb. 22nd & 23rd - 180 Degrees
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
Feb. 22nd & 23rd - 180 Degrees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Feb. 22nd & 23rd - 180 Degrees Reply with quote

Well here we go. It's that time of year again when there's a little warm-up and our trout here in Galveston Bay start to spread out and play hard to get. As a general rule the bite becomes more inconsistent compared to a cold weather bite when fish tend to be ganged up in certain areas. In addition, it is also not as reliable as the late Spring or early Summer pattern. This is why we call the period of time roughly between late February and mid April a "transition period." The silver lining is that it happens to be one of the best times of the year to catch big trout. Drifting takes a back seat to wadefishing and patience for quality fish replaces easy limits of schoolies. In other words - Put on your waders, pack a lunch and bring your A-Game.

Feb. 22nd - Productive Day!
Ronnie Hanson and Ben Peterek waded 4 or 5 different areas with me to catch around 20 trout up to almost 5 pounds. They only kept 13 to take home and released the small keepers and 6 or 7 throwbacks. We caught fish at every stop with our first location being the most productive. About half of our fish were caught over soft sandy bottom with the rest coming off mud and shell. Skitterwalks and Corkies were responsible for most of our fish.

Feb. 23rd - All Day Grind!
Scott and Wayne fished with me on what I thought was going to be a stellar day. The conditions were actually better than yesterday, but apparently the trout never got the memo. I took them to the same area where we had success yesterday and we got one bite in 2 hours. There was plenty of semi-active mullet present so we tried to wait 'em out but it never turned on. Over the course of the next 4 or 5 hours we fished hard in some really good spots. The fish were definitely there as indicated by 8 or 10 non-committal bites and 2 hook-ups. They just weren't ready yet so we decided to dig our feet in until they were ready. Finally, at 4:30 I popped a small keeper trout on a Corky Devil. The wind was picking up and the fog was rolling back in, but we were starting to get more and more bites so we stayed put. Wayne stuck a 20 inch flounder and then I hooked and lost another decent trout. For the next hour we landed 2 more trout to 21 inches and one 25 inch redfish before heading in at 6:30 PM. There is no doubt in my mind that the fish fed from sundown to probably an hour or two after dark. This is not at all uncommon this time of year. As always, Scott and Wayne were a hoot to fish with. My sides are still sore from laughing so hard. Not everyone can stick it out for the long haul, but that's what you have to do sometimes this time of year if you want to catch fish.

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: