Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - March 8th - Afternoon Gambling!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
March 8th - Afternoon Gambling!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: March 8th - Afternoon Gambling! Reply with quote

I had to choose between stiff SE winds and decent tide movement in the first half of the day and forecasted less wind but slack tides in the afternoon hours. Based on my recent afternoon success and the fact that I didn't want to completely beat Ansel, Monty and Hunter into wind-blown oblivion, I chose the latter. I was willing to take my chances with less tide movement in order to fish in calmer conditions. Too bad the wind forecast was wrong. It blew its butt off!

I was in the water waiting for the guys as they arrived to the boat ramp around 1:30 PM with fly rods in tow. Unfortunately, the fly fishing approach would not be all that successful in the 20 mph wind, but that was o.k. because we had spinners as a back up plan. We fished 3 different areas with not much to show. Our last stop gave us a little action, but I think it was more of a timing thing versus location. There has just been so much more activity the later it gets.

Ansel was hard core in sticking with his fly rod while Monty, Hunter and I took the conventional approach. It was not much to write home about but we stuck 5 fish on topwaters in the last hour of daylight. Unfortunately, only one of our fish came to hand in the form of a 26 inch redfish. All of this took place on a slack tide and choppy water. The fish were there, but only a few were willing to commit. Welcome to March fishing in Galveston Bay.....One day you'll hit 'em hard and then struggle the next. It was still a fun afternoon with some really great guys.

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: