Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - March 11th - Locked Up!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
March 11th - Locked Up!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: March 11th - Locked Up! Reply with quote

My plan was to take Jon, Brian and Craig to one of my favorite wading areas for this time of year, but unexpected extremely low tides changed everything. There wasn't enough water to even put the boat in at 6:15 this morning so we had to make a long drive to another ramp. As a result we didn't get started fishing until 8 O'clock.

I ended up taking them to where I found some fish yesterday. When we arrived, there was a fair amount of active mullet and terns diving on juvenile shad. It looked even better than it did the day before but apparently the trout were lock-jawed. After several drifts with no bites I had to make a move. Our next stop always seems to bail me out on tough days. Our first two drifts there produced two nice trout to 4.5 pounds and a few misses. By the third drift all of the bait had gone down and what little bite we had was over. We spent the rest of the morning bouncing around just trying to hit a few fish on the head, but it remained very slow. The stiff East wind didn't help either, but we still should have stuck more than we did. We did manage to land 3 flounder with only one being a keeper and two more trout with only one of those making the grade. Brian lost a nice trout at the boat on our last drift, but by then it was 1:30 and time to get them to the ramp so they could be on time for the rodeo.

Jon and his guys are always cool to fish with. They are great fishermen and they fish hard. I wish my original plan had worked out, but we made the adjustment and took what Mother Nature gave to us. Most of our fish came on 10W40 Sea Shad Saltwater Assassins over mud and thick shell in 5 to 6 feet of water. The water temperature was back down to 57 degrees from the recent cold front.

I think we'll be back to the late afternoon approach for the next few days until everything stabilizes and the tide gets right. This time of year offers a lot of challenges, but we react to them by changing our strategies. Sometimes that means different launch locations while other times it means fishing late. Sometimes we have to do both. Lord knows I'll do whatever I have to do to increase our chances.

Tight Lines & Best of Luck!
Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: