Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - May 6, 2011 - Awesome Weather!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
May 6, 2011 - Awesome Weather!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: May 6, 2011 - Awesome Weather! Reply with quote

Today I was part of a 4 boat corporate outing for the TMK Group. Most of the guys and gals were in from Russia and Ukraine. It was the last day of their visit and they only had a few hours to fish before flying home.

The group ended up arriving to the ramp 45 minutes late. By the time we got everyone loaded up in each boat with all of their food and drinks it was 7:15. My 4 guys and I arrived to our first fishing spot at 7:45 and after a brief instructional period they were all fishing by 8 O'clock.

Peter drew first blood almost immediately with an 18 inch trout. He then caught 2 more to 20 inches. Dimitri and the other guys finally started getting bit and they landed a few keepers up to 22 inches. The fish eventually started getting smaller and then the bite finally shut down forcing me to make a move to another area not far away.

The water was still dead calm as I trolled into position. There were large hoppers (a specie of shrimp we often see this time of year in Galveston Bay) getting chased across the surface. Peter wasted little time landing a fat 20 inch trout. Then one of the other guys caught a nice one. Shad were starting to surface and everything was quickly falling into place. Then I heard the words I didn't really want to hear - "O.K. Captain Steve, we better head in so we can get to the airport on time." It was only 10 AM, we were in a school of trout all by ourselves in the best conditions I've seen in months and we had to leave them biting. As painful as it was I had no choice but to head in with 9 solid trout in the box. All of the guys were very happy to say the least. The vodka and tequila played a role in their happiness as well I'm sure.

All of our fish were caught on red shad and limetreuse Sea Shad Assassins drifting over shell in 5 to 6.5 feet of water. Concentrations of mullet and shad were the ticket. There really weren't any slicks to hone in on, but it didn't seem to matter. We have a lot of fish in our bay right now. As we continue to get more calm days we'll have some banner trips.

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: