Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - May 13th - 18th
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
May 13th - 18th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: May 13th - 18th Reply with quote

The first half of May this year has been dominated by high winds and high pressure. Normally by now we're whacking the trout pretty good. While we've had some good days, most days that I didn't reschedule were spent pinned to shorelines grinding for just a few fish. This has been the windiest May I can remember.

May 13th - Saved by Big Trout
I had a two boat trip with Kent Copeland and his customers. Kent, Carlos and Erin were on my boat and Capt. Chris Jamail had the others on his boat. The wind blew out of the west pretty hard early so we stayed close to home. Kent nailed his personal best trout on our first drift of the morning. I stuck a solid trout shortly after that and then the slicks and bait vanished and our short lived bite was over. The wind died down somewhat so we made a long run to the mid-bay reefs. The water was off-color from the high winds the night before, but we were there so we tried to make the best of it. After several hours of drifting we called it quits at 2 PM with 9 trout between the two boats. It was slow, but we ended up with some very solid fish in the box. Kent's 6.25 pounder could not be released because she completely swallowed his Bass Assassin. It was not the most action-packed trip in the world, but the quality made up for it. All of our fish were caught on Red Shad Assassins.

May 14th - Tails & Tunes Tournament
Chad, Ray and Mike fished with me in post-frontal conditions with winds cranking out of the northwest at 25 - 30 mph. We were only able to fish two spots because of the conditions and the crowds, but we managed to scrape up 7 redfish to 25 inches and one 17 inch trout. We also lost a couple of reds and had 2 others that were just shy of 20 inches. The weigh-in consisted of 3 trout 18 inches or larger and two slot reds. Believe it or not our two largest reds put us just out of the top ten out of 50+ teams in the artificial division. Three 18 plus inch trout would have put us in the money. We still had fun and the Tails and Tunes Tourney was run very professionally. We may give it a shot again next year. All of our fish came on dark-colored Assassins wading in 1 to 3 feet of water. We sight-cast most of our reds which was pretty cool.

May 15th - More Tough Fishing
Matt, Brandon, John and Ryan fished with me in very dirty water caused by all of the hard winds. The wind was northeast at 28 knots that morning, but settled down to about 15 mph by noon. We only landed 3 trout to 21 inches before calling it quits. These late cool fronts and unsettled conditions are really testing my nerves.

May 16th - Solid Trout with a Smattering of Reds & Flounder
Charlie Anderson, Nick and Steve waded protected shorelines with me to land 5 trout to 24 inches, 2 reds to 25 inches and one keeper flounder. We also threw back several undersized trout, reds and flounder. The conditions were about the same as they have been which is crappy, but we made the best of it. The highlights of the trip were Nick catching his first fish on topwater (24 inch trout) and his personal best slot red (25 inches). His dad, Charlie, also caught his Texas Slam. I always enjoy fishing with Charlie and his guys regardless of the conditions.

May 18th - Slim Pickens
Ted, David and Steve braved a 20 - 25 mph wind with me today. If I had it to do over again I would have cancelled the trip. We drifted four different areas and boxed 2 trout to 23 inches, one 17 inch flounder and 2 sand trout. We also lost two decent trout at the boat and caught several more sand trout. I spoke with 5 other guides and they all did about the same. We actually found some decent water clarity, but the tide was almost non-existent plus I think a lot of the fish fed under the bright moon last night. The bottom line is fishing stunk. As always, Ted, David and Steve were awesome to fish with and these guys all fish enough to know that there's gonna be days like this. The problem is that we're having A LOT of days like this right now.

It's supposed to blow hard every day through next Tuesday. I sure hope the forecast is wrong because this is driving me insane. When it does quit blowing we're going to whack 'em and Lord knows we will have earned it.

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: