Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - Aug. 18th - 21st - A Lot of Firsts!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
Aug. 18th - 21st - A Lot of Firsts!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Aug. 18th - 21st - A Lot of Firsts! Reply with quote

8-18-11 - Really Tough!
Leroy and Lottie Tegeler came down from Brenham to fish with me in a stiff west wind. It was their second try since May when the wind was blowing about 30 mph. Not wanting to reschedule again, we tried to make it work. After trout fishing for 3 hours with only 3 keepers to show for our efforts I decided to take them redfishing. They hooked a total of 6 reds, but only managed to get 2 in the boat. Lottie caught the biggest one which was 27 inches. It was their first time to catch fish on artificials and they did really well. I just wish the conditions would have been better. Texas Roach Sea Shad Assassins and gold spoons were our baits of choice.

8-19-11 - Looking Better!
Jon, Chris, Cory and Evan started out in pretty much the same conditions as the day before. After yesterday I was willing to do just about anything to catch more fish so I bought some live shrimp. We fished the jetties and various other structure to scrape up 12 decent trout and a bunch of throwbacks. Jon actually caught all of his on limetreuse Sea Shads. I think we would have done better by sticking to my normal routine of working slicks over shell with soft plastics, because the conditions gradually got right over the course of the morning. The wind even switched around to the southeast for a brief period. Had I known that was going to happen we definitely would have done something different. Everyone had fun as usual, but I was hanging my head kind of low on the drive home after two tough days of fishing. The good news is that the high pressure that's been sitting over us was lifting and we should start seeing big improvements in the catching department.

8-20-11 - Perfect Conditions for the Galveston Redfish Series!
A field of 65 teams were greeted with excellent conditions for the 3rd tournament of the series. Jake and I started fishing at 7:15 and started catching reds at 7:16. It was pretty steady for the first 3 hours then around 10:30 it got plumb stupid. We were literally catching reds on every cast for a solid hour. From about noon to 2 O'clock it slowed down to catching one about every 4th or 5th cast. We were also catching some solid trout and flounder mixed in with the redfish. While catching 70 or 80 reds is an absolute blast, we still didn't have enough weight in the livewell to win. Most of the fish we were catching were cookie-cutter 5.5 to 6.5 pounders with a few oversized ones in the mix. Our two in the livewell were 7.25 and 7.75 lbs. We needed at least one kicker fish to replace the 7.25 pounder but we only had about 5 minutes left to fish and we had lost our last school. Jake said he thought he knew which direction they headed so he trolled us over there. Sure enough he was right. We only had time for one more cast or we were going to miss the weigh-in. We both hooked up. Mine ended up being 30 inches, but his was just under 28 inches and almost 8 pounds. We ran full throttle to the weigh-in and made it with less than 10 minutes to spare. Our two reds weighed in at just under 16 pounds and landed us in 6th place which was in the money. Congratulations to Corey Stattler and Chris Barrett with their first place stringer of 16.96 lbs.

8-21-11 - Finally....Good Conditions for Trout Fishing!
The conditions cooperated for Minh Tran, his dad, father-in-law and his son Chris. After my experience with live bait the other day I decided to stay within my element this time. Even though Minh and his family had never fished with artificials they ended up catching around 100 fish today. Most of their trout were undersized, but 21 of them were solid keepers. We also caught a 21 inch flounder, tons of sand trout and 3 big gafftop. 7 year-old Chris caught more fish than anyone on the boat. He also caught the biggest speck which was 21 inches. All of our fish came on limetreuse Sea Shad Assassins and Plumtreuse Queen Cocahoe Minnows while fishing over deep shell (8 - 12 feet of water).

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: