Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - Sept. 6th - 11th - Cooler Weather & Big Trout!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
Sept. 6th - 11th - Cooler Weather & Big Trout!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Sept. 6th - 11th - Cooler Weather & Big Trout! Reply with quote

A lot has changed since my last report. We've had a tropical storm hit Louisiana and a cool front hit our part of the coast dropping water temperatures dramatically and creating high winds for a 5 day period. Everything is back to somewhat normal now, but most of our trout have relocated to different areas. Tides have been somewhat weak, but fishing is still good when the wind allows.

Sept. 6th - Cancelled Trip turned Scouting Mission
I cancelled yet another trip because of stiff NE winds (21 knots), but the wind diminished around noon. Jake and I decided to venture out to peruse different parts of the bay to see if the pattern had changed. The water was dirty almost everywhere as we made our 70 mile round-trip boat ride. We made a few casts here and there catching a few reds and one giant jackfish. Jake also lost a big trout. That was it other than a bunch of sand trout. The tide was dead and the surface water temperature was down to 73 degrees from 89 degrees the week before.

Sept. 7th - Stiff Winds Early Then Scraping Up a Few!
Charlie, Steve and Mike drifted non-productive protected waters with me for almost 6 hours for the first part of our trip as the wind was cranking at 20 plus mph out of the NE. They hooked 3 big reds, but lost them all. Mike did manage to land one 17 inch flounder so it wasn't a complete waste of time. There was nothing else we could do until around 12:30 when the wind laid down and we were able to make it across the bay. By then the tide was dead, but they still found a way to trick 12 trout to 23 inches before heading in. It was not that great but trust me, we were doing good to catch anything. Calcasieu Brew, Red Shad and Limetreuse Sea Shad Assassins caught our trout in 5 to 7 feet of water over shell.

Sept. 8th - Worth the Wait!
Jim Hummer, Jim and Mike drifted with me in fairly stiff early morning winds to pop 8 or 9 good trout before the wind finally gave up around 11 O'clock. We were then able to work a few other areas which produced about a dozen decent trout to 24.5 inches and a 27 inch redfish. We ended our trip with 21 trout and a red which was more than satisfactory given the weak tide and early morning winds. Once again Limetreuse and Calcasieu Brew paid the bills. We also caught a couple on topwaters.

Sept. 9th - Not Too Bad!
Jon, Robert and Tony got of to a fast start, but the bite quickly faded with the dead tide. We ended up landing 16 trout to 23.5 inches and a lot of throwbacks before heading to the ramp. As usual, we lost quite a few trout because of the non-committal bite. We threw Bass Assassin Sea Shads and topwaters to catch our fish.

Sept. 10th - Big Trout and Good Numbers Too!
Richard, Kyle and Brandon got on a pretty good bite to put 25 trout to 25.5 inches and one 25 inch redfish in the cooler. The red was Brandon's first ever keeper and his dad, Kyle, caught and released his personal best trout which was 27 inches. We also caught a 25.5 inch trout that completely swallowed the jig. Its gills were ripped and it was bleeding profusely so we had to keep it. Our early day ended with 26 trout and a red which was awesome considering the slack tide and zero wind. We threw Limetreuse Sea Shads to catch most of our fish. Kyle and Brandon also caught some on Berkley Gulp! rigged on an 1/8th ounce jig head like a worm.

Sept. 11th - Early Limits of Trout & Texans Beat the Colts!
George and his two sons, Shane and Clint fished in near ice cream conditions with me today. I only say "near" ice cream conditions because our tides are still almost non-existent and we had a 94% full moon the night before. We immediately got on fish around 7:30 and had 22 trout in the cooler by 9:15. It was a grind after that as we were just hitting a few on the head here and there until number 30 hit the box a little before 11 AM. We also had a 28 inch redfish for good measure. As usual, we lost our fair share and caught roughly 20 other small specks and sand trout which kept us occupied in between the keepers. George caught the biggest trout which was a little over 23 inches. I was happy that he took big trout honors since this trip was for his 80th birthday. Limetreuse Sea Shad Salt Water Assassins were responsible for 100% of our fish. Nervous bait and a few slicks over shell in 5.5 to 7 feet of water was the ticket. It's a great day when you can catch an early limit of trout and still get to watch your favorite football team win the season opener.

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: