Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - Sept. 16 - 18th - Not Too Bad!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
Sept. 16 - 18th - Not Too Bad!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Sept. 16 - 18th - Not Too Bad! Reply with quote

I rescheduled my trip on the 13th due to stiff southwest winds and took a couple of days off to work on my taxes and get my 20 hour service done on my Suzuki. Friday (Sept. 16th) I was back on the water with Randy and his brother-in-law, Curly, who was in from Virginia. Luckily they wanted to catch redfish because the open bay trout areas were trashed from the 20 plus mph NE winds. We fished a couple of different back lakes from 8:30 to 2 pm and did pretty well on reds along with a few trout. They caught a total of 16 redfish that were in the slot ranging from 22 inches to 29.5 inches and 7 specks along with some throwback specks and flounder. They only kept 4 of the smaller reds for their family dinner that night and released everything else. Morning Glory Bass Assassin Sea Shads worked the best while casting to mud boils, slicks and wakes in 1 to 2 feet of water.

Richard, Kyle and Andrew fished with me on Saturday (9-17-11). The wind was blowing around 15 mph out of the SE, but we made the best of it in the dirty water. We got on fish at our very first stop of the morning. We drifted three small shell humps that had a couple of slicks popping up on them to land 4 decent trout on our first two drifts. We had 4 boats come in behind us by the time we made our third drift which prevented us from getting back on the school. Crowds are not my thing so we left. The water was very off-color at our second stop, but there were a few bled out slicks so we pulled a drift. We only stuck one keeper on the first drift, but the trout seemed to feed better with each pass with us picking up two or three each time. Another boat saw us catching fish and continually inched closer and closer before I decided to let them have it. By then the wind was blowing so hard it made it difficult to drift anyway. I wanted to go check on a school of redfish that I haven't been to in several weeks before heading in. It took awhile to find them, but we finally started hooking up with solid mid-slots. The guys boxed 6 reds to 26.75 inches and released another one that was just under 20 inches before heading in at 3 PM. Our final tally was 12 nice trout and 6 reds. The highlight of the trip was Andrew catching his first keeper speck. 10W40 and Red Shad Sea Shad Assassins were responsible for most of our fish. Of course Kyle had to give his Berkley GULP! shrimp a shot and he caught 2 reds on it. Just like last Saturday I had a really good time fishing with Richard and his crew.

Sept. 18th - Ran Off the Bay Early!
Ken Miller and his son were in from Tyler, Texas to try their luck at saltwater fishing. Unfortunately, we only got to fish for about 2 hours before the sky started falling. We were going to try to wait it out, but some pretty serious storms settled in over the bay and they didn't look like they would be leaving anytime soon. We hooked 6 or 7 trout, but only landed 3 of them in the muddy water we were fishing in. We threw Red Shad and Morning Glory Sea Shads over shell in 6 to 8 feet of water. They are coming back to fish with me on another day when we can actually enjoy a full day of fishing.

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: