Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - Sept. 26th - Oct. 1st - Windy Close to September!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
Sept. 26th - Oct. 1st - Windy Close to September!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Sept. 26th - Oct. 1st - Windy Close to September! Reply with quote

Southwest winds gusting to near 25 mph forced me to cancel September 26th & 27th.

Sept. 28th - Taking Advantage of a Small Opportunity!
Curtis and his wife Rhonda joined me for a small window of fishing before the westerly winds cranked up again. The bay had really taken a beating over the past 3 days so the first couple of hours found us casting into very dirty water with very few signs of life. After a few sand trout and some throwback specks I made a move in search of cleaner water. The move paid off as we popped a few nice trout while casting to some good slicks over shell. That eventually played out causing me to make another run. We landed 6 more trout and lost a few at the boat before the WSW wind took over and forced us to the back lakes where we finished by putting 4 redfish to 26 inches in the box before heading in. A combination of Morning Glory and Limetreuse Sea Shad Assassins tricked our fish. Curtis and Rhonda were great to fish with. I wish the bite would've been like it has been, but we were fortunate to catch what we did.

Sept. 29th
My clients and I waited at the ramp until 8:30 waiting for two very strong storms to pass. The wind was gusting to near 40 mph and the lightening show was spectacular. That would prove to be the highlight of our day because I never even put the boat in the water. The bay would take several hours to clear up and one of the guys had to be back in by noon so it would have been a wasted effort. We just rescheduled for a better day.

Sept. 30th - Just Pull the Plug Already!
PJ, Armando and Mondo left the ramp under light winds with me in the best conditions I've seen all week. Of course the water clarity was still junk from all of the wind and storms the night before, but we had high hopes of having a decent day as long as the wind would hold off. Our hopes deteriorated by 8 O'clock or so as a cool front hit earlier than expected and brought with it NE winds gusting to 20 mph. It was a real shame because our bite was just getting underway when the bay turned into a giant washing machine. After grinding it out for another hour we made the decision to pull the plug and do it again on a better day. Our total for the abbreviated morning was 3 or 4 barely keeper trout and a bunch of throwback specks and sand trout. We didn't keep anything. Morning Glory was the best color in the liquid mud we were fishing in.

Oct.1st - I cancelled due to NE winds gusting to 25 mph. While there may have been some limited opportunities to put 2 or 3 fish in the box I just don't feel like it's fair to my clients to take their money especially when fishing is really good right now when the weather cooperates. It looks like this easterly wind will make it tough for a couple of more days. It's that time of year where these early fronts wreak havoc on our bays. It's all part of the transitional process we go through every year. All we can do is just grin and bear it and enjoy the good days in between. There's some excellent fall fishing right around the corner so get ready!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: