Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - Oct 5th & 6th - More Solid Specks & Big Flounder!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
Oct 5th & 6th - More Solid Specks & Big Flounder!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Oct 5th & 6th - More Solid Specks & Big Flounder! Reply with quote

Oct. 5th - Half Fish & Half Dove!
My original trip cancelled, but I was o.k. with that because my good friend Brent Bell happened to be in town from Cleveland and we haven't been able to fish or hunt together in years. Brent and I have known each other forever, but new job opportunities took him to the Midwest a couple of years ago. He is responsible for my duck hunting addiction and for introducing me to Matagorda Bay more than 20 years ago. We used to duck hunt East Matty in the morning and then fish until our arms were ready to fall off afterwards.

The ESE wind was stiff, but we found a little area where I located some fish earlier in the week that had some streaky water. The trout bite started off slow, but I did pop a couple of flounder on our first drift of the morning with one of them tipping the scales at 5 pounds. By our third or fourth drift we were sticking a few good trout here and there on Limetreuse Bass Assassins. It was similar to my last trip in that the bite wasn't great, but it was all we had given the circumstances. We ended up keeping Brent's limit of trout to 23 inches before leaving around 1 PM to make our afternoon dove hunt on time. The bite was actually getting better as we landed 6 more trout on our last drift, but we didn't want to be late for the hunt.

I had spoken with Jim West earlier in the week and he told me he had quite a few birds on one of the properties he leases so I figured it would be cool to do a little cast and blast before Brent headed back home. I put together a group of 7 guys and we had a really good hunt with almost everyone getting limits or near limits of dove. It was an action-packed day for sure. I just love it when a plan comes together.

Oct. 6th - Three's Company.....
Jimmy Hill and his brother Joe wanted to get in a little fishing while Joe was in town. I went right back to where I've been fishing knowing that the forecast was calling for ESE winds gusting to 20 mph. It actually wasn't blowing all that hard early and the water was the best clarity I'd seen in awhile. Jimmy hooked and lost a decent trout when it went airborne on his 3rd or 4th cast. We were basically making long drifts just dissecting the area waiting for it to turn on. Each drift accounted for one keeper trout. By our third or fourth drift the wind was really cranking. As a result, more and more boats piled into the area. Two or three other boats where I'm fishing right now is no big deal, but more than that makes it too crowded. At one time I counted 12 other boats. This kept us more or less confined to one little area which definitely reduced our chances at having a better morning. The boats finally started clearing out as the wind got stronger and we were able to drift where more color changes were. We picked up 3 more trout on our last drift then Jimmy made the call to head in. We fished until a little after 1 O'clock to put 9 trout to 21 inches in the cooler. We also lost 5 or 6 trout due to the very subtle bite. Limetreuse Sea Shad Assassins worked the best.

I'll be glad when the wind lets up so the boats will spread out more. It looks like the next several days will be blown out. The forecasts are predicting strong winds through Monday. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: