Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - Oct. 17th - Big Galveston Bay Trout!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
Oct. 17th - Big Galveston Bay Trout!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Oct. 17th - Big Galveston Bay Trout! Reply with quote

Fishing has been really good lately when the wind has cooperated. The water clarity in both East and Trinity Bay has been superb. When conditions get like this we have a lot of options. My preference is always trying to catch trout over oyster reefs, clam beds or by wading shorelines because the quality of fish seems to be better. We will fish under working gulls and terns if one of the preferred methods isn't working. These past few days I have been able to fish the way I wanted to and we've been rewarded with some heavy boxes of fish. The bulk of our trout have been very healthy despite the fact that most of their bellies have been empty and all of the females had their last spawn of the year almost a month ago. Every trout I've cleaned in the past 3 weeks have had empty roe sacks. Empty stomachs and all, most of the trout we're catching are running 20 to 23 inches and very thick-bodied.

Regular clients Ron Chapa, Javier and Mike got to experience the best Galveston Bay had to offer today. Our first drift of the morning resulted in zero bites. We made a short move and began another drift. This time we hit the jackpot. By our third drift we were having multiple double and even triple hook ups with 2 to 4 pound trout. I was casting off the back of the boat when I wasn't busy netting their fish. I made a very long cast, let my Assassin sink to the bottom, twitched it a few times and let it settle back down. As I raised my rod tip to repeat the process my line was tight like I was hung on shell. I set the hook and started fighting what appeared to be big redfish. She was staying down and stripping drag just like a red. When she finally surfaced about 20 yards from the boat I knew I had a trout that was easily over 7 pounds. Anyone who has ever fished with me knows that I always net my own fish. When I finally got her up to the side of the boat, I missed her with the landing net. The whole time the guys are talking trash and Javier was videoing which I later became aware of. Some of the words that escaped from my mouth will never be seen in any children's books. I finally got her in the net on the second try. I quickly got an accurate weight on my Boga, had Mike take a couple of photos, measured her on the Check-It Stick and slipped her back into the emerald green water from which she came. She was a hint over the 29 inch mark and weighed right at 8.25 pounds.

We went back to fishing and had limits of trout by 11:30 then went red fishing. We hooked 4 reds, but only landed a 25.5 and 27 incher along with another dozen or so keeper trout before heading to the ramp. Limetreuse was the best color for our trout while 10W40 Sea Shad Assassins worked better on the reds. The guys were really disapointed that we didn't catch more redfish....Yea right! Ron and his crew were a hoot as always.

This front will keep us off the water for a couple of days, but things should kick right back into gear once the bay settles. The pattern will change a bit, but it will be in a good way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: