Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - Dec. 16th & 18th - Just O.K.
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
Dec. 16th & 18th - Just O.K.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Dec. 16th & 18th - Just O.K. Reply with quote

I've titled this fishing report "Just O.K." because compared to most of our recent trips and overall trips this year we've gotten a little spoiled. While catching a lot of fish is fun it is certainly not the only reason we fish. As a matter of fact some of my most memorable days on the water are days when we didn't necessarily hit a home run. The fish can get finicky this time of year with cold fronts blowing through once or twice a week. Some days are going to be more challenging than others. There is one thing I've always said and that is that you will most likely learn more on tough days than you will on days when anybody can go catch 'em. It definitely makes you a better fisherman (or woman) over the long haul.

Dec. 16th - Jon, Robert and Casey had a slower than usual trip with me today. The northeast wind was cranking at around 20 mph, but the water clarity was still good. The larger trout just weren't cooperative. It may have been because we fished during the passage of the front and the barometric pressure was rising. We caught around 25 trout, but only 10 of them made the grade up to 20 inches. We were throwing Limetreuse and Purple Canary Sea Shad Assassins while working color streaks over shell and mud in 4.5 to 5.5 feet of water. Jon and his guys have had some stellar trips with me so I guess we were due for a slow one.

Dec. 18th - I chose to fish a different part of the bay today because of the wind forecast and the fact that we had such a slow trip on Friday. The plan kind of worked. Adam, Chris and Don managed 14 solid trout to 22 inches and a 24 inch redfish along with some undersized trout and reds. Our fish were caught on a variety of Bass Assassins with a few coming on Tidal Surge Maniac Mullets. We lost 7 or 8 good trout as well because of the extremely soft bite. The water temperature held at 53 degrees and we didn't have much tide movement. Adam's group was a real hoot as always.

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: