Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - Jan. 31st & Feb. 2nd - Grinding for a Few!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
Jan. 31st & Feb. 2nd - Grinding for a Few!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Jan. 31st & Feb. 2nd - Grinding for a Few! Reply with quote

The pattern has most definitely transformed over the course of this past week. Water temperatures have risen to as high as 63.5 degrees which has resulted in a mini-transitional period much like what we generally see during March and April. When this occurs the fish seem to scatter and the guys who fish until dark or even after sunset tend to get more catching opportunities. That being said, both of my trips were morning trips and there just wasn't much bait activity. We still caught a few, but it was a grind.

Jan. 31st - Chris Piper and his old college buddy Todd fished in the pouring rain with me to scrape up a mixed bag of trout, reds and flounder and 5 or 6 throwback trout. We had to do a lot of moving around to find even a few mullet to focus on and the water was very clear. I prefer streaky, off-colored water this time of year over air-clear water. If we had a trout for every blow-up then they would have had near limits. All of our fish were caught on Skitterwalks and Calcasieu Brew Bass Assassins while drifting over shell in 3 to 4.5 feet of water. Chris is always fun to fish with and Todd was a real trip. It was a fun day despite being soaking wet.

Feb. 2nd - Good friends and clients Hailey Matthews and Chris Sizemore waded and drifted several areas to put 10 fish in the box on another tough bite day. We ran over 70 miles round trip trying to make something happen, but for the second trip in a row the trout were locked up and much smaller as indicated by the number of throwbacks we caught. We caught around 13 or 14 trout, but only 5 of them made the cut. The redfish, however, were all in the 24 to 27 inch range and very healthy. Our fish were caught on Calcasieu Brew Assassins and Maniac Mullets. We were off the water by 4 PM. I spoke to 2 other guides that didn't have a fish in the box until 4 O'clock and then fished until after dark to catch 15 to 18 trout. The pattern should get back to more of a winter-time deal after this cold front and the trout should bunch up a little more.

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: