Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - Feb. 20th - 22nd - Good Topwater Action!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
Feb. 20th - 22nd - Good Topwater Action!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Feb. 20th - 22nd - Good Topwater Action! Reply with quote

Feb. 20th - Got an early start with Adam and Scott trying to trick a big trout or two. The tide was very low and there was no wind. We waded several areas for hours with very little to show for our efforts other than Adam's 18 inch trout. The tide was due to come in late afternoon so we chose to wait it out. It paid off. We started getting blow-ups around 4:30 and caught 15 redfish ranging from 21 to 27 inches along with one 20 inch trout. If we had a fish for every blow-up we would've caught 40 or more. We decided to leave the redfish and go look for more trout while the feed was still going. Our last stop found us drifting in the dark throwing Skitterwalks and MirrOlure Top Dogs. If you've never fished topwaters in the dark you should try it. It's pretty cool especially in the dead calm conditions we fished. You just listen for the blow-up or slurp and wait for your line to tighten. We never did catch any trout over 3 pounds, but had a blast catching them on topwaters. We caught a total of around 25 fish with most of them being redfish. Adam kept 4 or 5 trout and one redfish for dinner. All of our other fish were released.

Feb. 21st - After our late afternoon - evening bite yesterday I decided to have Steve and Russell meet me at the ramp at 1 PM. The tide was just starting to trickle in when we rolled out to our first drifting spot. We immediately started catching small specks and some big sand trout. We finally put our first keeper in the box in the form of a 17 inch flounder that Steve caught. That spot never really produced so we headed elsewhere. We caught 3 more decent specks within 10 minutes and then nothing. I decided to take them redfishing before it got dark. We drifted in 2 feet of water throwing topwaters. The wind had picked up some which made it tough to keep from drifting over the fish. We were drifting an area that is much more productive when wading. I tried anchoring, but the hull slap was spooking our fish. It was frustrating, but we still managed to stick 3 reds to 22 inches and one 22 inch trout before heading in. We threw Corkies, Bass Assassins and Skitterwalks to catch our fish while focusing on dirty water and flipping mullet.

Feb. 22nd - Haley and Eric got started drifting with me around 1:30. Haley drew first blood on our first drift with a 20 inch speck. We drifted the area over and over again catching a little bit of everything. We caught around 20 specks with only 10 of them being keepers up to almost 24 inches. We caught sand trout up to 18 inches, undersized redfish, 5 big croaker and two piggy perch and "no" we weren't using dead shrimp. We caught all of them on Bass Assassins. The wind started really cranking out of the southwest and the fog was quickly setting in so we hit one more area for a quick wade. The water was muddy and it was white capping, but I managed to stick one 26 inch red on a pink Skitterwalk before the conditions got unbearable. The weather knocked about two hours off our trip, but we still ended up doing pretty good for this time of year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: