Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - Feb. 26th - Tough Day!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
Feb. 26th - Tough Day!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Feb. 26th - Tough Day! Reply with quote

After cancelling Friday and Saturday because of high winds (gusts to 40 mph) I was finally able to get back on the water Sunday. I guess everyone else had cabin fever too, because it was extremely crowded out there.

Bob and his wife Karen were in from Columbus, Ohio on business and wanted to squeeze in a fishing trip. After a tumultuous day the day before with flight cancellations and other things they didn't want to get an early start. We finally found an area that was void of boats and started our first drift around 8:30. The tide was still trickling in and the wind was light out of the northeast. I thought we would put a few in the boat at that stop, but we left after two drifts and only a few non-committal bites.

After a bunch of running around we finally got on a little action. Bob and I popped a couple of keeper trout and several throwback trout and an 18 inch redfish on our first drift. Our fish were in 2.5 feet of water along a windward shoreline. We were drifting toward the shoreline with the open bay at our backs. I looked over my shoulder as I was getting ready to crank up for another drift and there were 5 boats behind me. I did my best to worm my way out of there and make another drift about 100 yards from where I made the first one. We stuck a couple of more throwback trout and headed out once again in search of virgin water. By now the tide was dead and would remain that way for the rest of the day. The wind had also kicked up to about 16 or 17 mph making drift fishing kind of tough.

Bob caught one 22 inch redfish at our last stop and we called it a day with only two 17 inch trout and a red in the box. Our fish were caught on Bass Assassins over scattered shell, mud and grass in 2.5 to 3.5 feet of water. Fishing is tough when you have less than 2 inches of tide movement the whole day especially this time of year. The excessive boat traffic didn't help matters. With the exception of early morning, it looks like we're on similar tides until Wednesday (depending on what part of the bay you're in). Then we have decent tide movement all the way through next weekend.

Thanks for Reading,
Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: