Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - March 1st - 6th - March Grinding!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
March 1st - 6th - March Grinding!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: March 1st - 6th - March Grinding! Reply with quote

I've only run three trips since my last report mainly because of high winds. Let me tell you, it's been a grind in every sense of the word. I've had all regular clients who can fish pretty darn good and we've still struggled. We've stuck to the late afternoon thing mainly because of the tides and the time of year. Most of our action has come in the last two hours of daylight. This last cool front really jacked things up and we just haven't been able to get on anything consistent since then. It's not just my parties, but several of the other long-time guides that I talk with almost every day are seeing the same thing.

Our best day was today (March 6th) while wading in a 20 mph wind. We caught a mix of trout and reds, but lost more than we landed. I fought and lost one of the biggest trout I've had on the hook in a while. The best baits this evening were Red Shad and Texas Chicken Corky Originals. I stuck to the same game plan as yesterday just in a different part of the bay. Yesterday, we caught what few fish we had on Calcasieu Brew Assassins rigged on 1/16 ounce jig heads. Late last week most of our fish came on topwaters. Our biggest trout has been 23 inches while our reds have measured up to 26 inches. We've also had a keeper flounder here and there. Wading in 2 - 3.5 feet of water over soft bottom with a little bit of shell while keying in on mullet and slicks has been our only reliable pattern. If you can combine that with a color change during some tide movement then your odds for catching will increase dramatically.

It's March on Galveston Bay and fishing can be very challenging. Wading will definitely improve your chances. There will be some good days mixed in with the slow ones. You just have to grind it out and be patient. Sorry for the dreary report, but I've always made it a point to be honest about my experiences and tell it like I see it.

Tight Lines!
Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: