Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - April 23rd - 25th - Lots of Catching!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
April 23rd - 25th - Lots of Catching!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: April 23rd - 25th - Lots of Catching! Reply with quote

April 23rd - Jeremy Huntley with Huntley Outdoors fished with me today. He wanted to learn some areas and tactics around Galveston Bay. Catching was not the number one priority, but there was plenty of it going on. We started at noon because of the 20 mph NE wind. The hourly forecast showed it dying down by 1 PM, but it didn't really subside until around 4 PM. None-the-less, we started catching at our first stop. Within 3 drifts he had his limit of trout to 3.5 pounds in the cooler. We left those fish to hit as many areas as possible to give him a better idea of the pattern this time of year. We caught more trout and Jeremy caught a 21 inch redfish before heading in around 6 PM. All of our fish were caught on Red Shad Assassins, Maniac Mullets and silver spoons. I think we accomplished everything we set out to do and got to catch a few fish along the way. Overall, we fished areas of shell, sand and mud in depths ranging from 2 feet to 6 feet while keying on slicks and bait activity. Jeremy is one heck of a fisherman for sure. He caught most of the fish. It's no surprise because his father was a professional bass fisherman and Jeremy himself won his first bass tournament when he was 11 years old. Check out his website at www.huntleyoutdoors.com. He and his wife Heather have filmed countless hours of some of the most exciting hunting footage you'll ever see. Their shows air weekly on Versus, Fox Sports Networks and the Outdoor Channel. Check it out.

April 24th - It seems like at least once per week we're getting one of those "ice cream" days. Well, Ron, Mike and Tom must be livin' right because they picked a good one today. It was slick calm and our tide movement was o.k. The water clarity wasn't all that great because of all of the recent wind and rain, but it didn't seem to matter. Tom popped two good trout at our first stop before I had to leave because of a very inconsiderate weekday warrior...long story. Call me crazy, but I think 30 yards is too close. We left those fish to go find something else. Our next stop is where we stayed until the guys had their limits to 23 inches by around 10:30. We then bumped around trying to catch a big trout. We caught and released more trout, but nothing over 3 pounds before heading in at 2:30. The highlight of the day was when we (while we were still fishing) had a guy motor right up to us in a bass boat and ask "which direction is Texas City." We were a long way from Texas City. I just told him to head towards the smoke stacks. Nothing surprises me anymore. Red Shad did the trick early then Glow Bass Assassins finished 'em off. Ron and his guys are always a blast and today was no different.

April 25th - All good things must come to an end. My long-time friend and customer Rolfe brought along two of his clients, Don and Charlie, to fish in very adverse conditions. The wind was gusting to 28 mph out of the southwest, but we gave it a shot anyway. We tried to stay in protected water, but I still had waves coming over the back of my Whaler occasionally. After 4 hours of fishing in those miserable conditions we decided to pull the plug. The guys did manage to scrape up 3 upper slot redfish and 2 trout to 3 lbs. along with some throwbacks despite the tough circumstances. We also hooked and lost 3 decent trout at the boat. Wading would have been a little more productive, but we did the best we could while drifting. Red Shad caught everything today.

It looks like we're in for more strong winds the next 3 to 4 days. Good luck to whoever decides to venture out there. I'll be in Wimberley with family and friends sittin' on the Blanco River for the next 4 days. I see bar-b-que, cold beer and horse shoes in my future.

Good Luck!
Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: