Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - May 7th - 12th - Get 'Em When You Can!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
May 7th - 12th - Get 'Em When You Can!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: May 7th - 12th - Get 'Em When You Can! Reply with quote

This past week has been up and down because of the weather. We still managed to fish every day except for Thursday when it was just blowing too hard. We could have gone and caught a handful that day, but fishing is just too good right now to do that. Most of the other days we fished were shortened because of storms and wind, but we were still able to take full advantage of the small windows we had.

May 7th Ė I had 3 long-time customers today that decided to take off work to go fishing so their names will not be mentioned. I guess this is what you'd call a guide - client privilege. I'm sworn to secrecy. Why not? It helps keep things interesting. The weather cooperated and they went in at 1 PM with 28 trout to 4 lbs. in the cooler. All were caught on Red Shad Assassins while drifting slicks over shell in 5 to 7 feet of water.

May 8th - Greg, Jeremy and Billy had to wait until 10 AM to hit the water with me because of winds gusting to 28 knots early. The water was pretty stained everywhere, but they still managed to trick 11 solid trout to 24 inches before heading in at 1:30. I also caught and released 6 pounder. We were on a good school of 3 to 6 pound trout, but had to leave because severe storms were moving in on us in a hurry. It was a good day considering the conditions and it was definitely a lot of fun as always fishing with Greg and his crew. Bass Assassin Sea Shads in various colors caught our fish while drifting slicks.

May 9th - The wind blew a lot harder than what the forecast said, but Haley, David and Marcus caught the heck out of them. Most of their fish were caught in wind-protected water then we headed elsewhere when the wind died down around noon. They caught 7 more and I let a 25.5 incher go before heading in at 2:30 with 23 really solid trout, 1 red and one nice flounder in the box. Glow Sea Shad Assassins were our best bait today.

May 10th - Cancelled. 20 - 25 mph sustained winds.

May 11th - Chad and Mike fished with me in the 6th Annual RSC Rental Fishing Tournament. Storms and gale force winds caused us to get a late start and the conditions were never good, but we still caught fish. We fished from 8 AM to 12:45 and caught 5 reds to 7.35 pounds. Our main focus was redfish because I knew trout fishing would be tough. We did lose two decent trout at the boat so there were a few trout there. The team stringer was to consist of 3 trout and 2 reds. There were also categories for biggest trout and biggest redfish. We weighed in two big reds and took 4th place overall stringer and 4th place big red. The live baiters got us again. We still felt good about our placement given the conditions and the fact that 150 people were entered. Gulp and Bass Assassins caught our fish while drifting slicks in brackish water over mud and shell.

May 12th - Jake and I decided to fish the first of 5 Galveston Redfish Series tournaments. We knew the forecast was calling for severe thunderstorms early, but figured we wouldn't need much time to get our two redfish. Jake had found a school of really fat reds the week before and then I went back and checked on them before the tourney and they were still there. Neither of us saw another boat both times we were there. After waiting until 9 AM for severe storms to pass we were fishing by 9:15. I landed the first red around 9:30. Shortly after, Jake caught a fat one. Two other tourney boats saw us catching and came over to join us. We worked two different schools over the course of the next 6 hours. We culled until we had two 7 lb. reds in the live well. Jake broke off a couple of big ones and I hooked and lost 2. We never got that kicker 8 or 9 pounder that we needed, but we figured we had enough to be in the money and certainly enough to give us some good points headed into the series. We gave ourselves over an hour to get to the weigh-in which was about 45 minutes away. We knew where the road construction was so we took a detour. To make a long and frustrating story short we missed our exit then hit road construction in another area. We still would have made it, but the heavy start and stop traffic added at least another 45 minutes to our drive. We missed the weigh-in by about 20 minutes.

The turnout was exceptional with 75 teams entered. It paid all the way down to 13.44 pounds and the heaviest weight in the Calcutta pot was 13.65. This means Jake and I would have won the Calcutta pot and gotten some money in the main division. One of these days Jake and I are going to pull our heads out of our butts and get it all together. The little things are killing us in these tournaments. A big congrats to Kaylin Barlow who won with 17.45 pounds (2 reds). Whatís more, she fished by herself out of a kayak. Thatís pretty impressive if you ask me. We caught our reds (and one big flounder) on Gulp, Bass Assassins and gold spoons while working slicks in 7 to 9 feet of water.

Capt. Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: