Hillman Guide Service :: View topic - March 6th - 10th - Outstanding!
Return to Home Page
Hillman Guide Service

>>> Fishing Reports <<<
March 6th - 10th - Outstanding!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSteve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: March 6th - 10th - Outstanding! Reply with quote

Normally we're really struggling this time of year, but the trout bite has been surprisingly good around here lately when the weather cooperates. We're bouncing around in a couple of different parts of the bay based on what Mother Nature gives us that day. On low tide days we're fishing deeper water (4.5 to 6 feet) and up shallow during normal tides especially when temperatures rise. We kind of got away from the big trout pursuit for the past few days because I had crews that wanted more of a steady bite, but the majority of our fish are still averaging 20 - 22 inches with an occasional 24 inch trout mixed in. Salt Water Assassins, Corky Fat Boys and topwaters have all produced. Our fish are holding over shell and mud bottom in areas where tiny shad and a few mullet are present. We're seeing quite a few slicks and actually have been for a few weeks now. It sure makes it easier when the fish show themselves.

March 6th – It was kind of an unfair advantage with Dave Pierce, Haley Matthews and Scott Medsger on the boat. These three guys bring their “A Game” every time. We started fishing at 12:40 and they had their limits of trout by 4:30. We then went after big trout. The big ones never really showed up, but they caught and released another 14 to 24 inches. Our afternoon total was 44 trout and one 27.5 inch red along with a handful of throwbacks. This kind of day just doesn’t happen very often in March on Galveston Bay.

March 7th – Ronnie Hansen and Ray Chapman have had some tough trips with me in years past, but we finally broke the spell on this day. We started fishing around 8 AM and they had their limits of 16 – 22 inch trout in the box by 12:30. We caught and released another 7 to 23 inches along with a couple of reds before heading in at 3 O’clock. Just like the day before, the guys capitalized on every bite.

March 8th – Curtis and Rhonda Anderson normally target trout with me, but they wanted to change things up a bit and go after reds and flounder this time. We got on the water a little after daylight and put a 26 inch red and a 16 inch flounder in the cooler within the first 30 minutes. We didn’t catch anything after that until the tide changed around noon. One small slick gave them away then Rhonda and Curtis went to work. We ended up catching 7 reds with two of them being over-sized (28.5 & 29.5) and two flounder. The two over-sized redfish were released. Our smallest red was 26 inches. The 20 mph wind really limited where we could fish, but I felt pretty good about the results. We had plenty of good laughs too as always.

March 9th – I took off to go to the fishing show. I spent some time at the Waterloo Rods booth with Jimmy and Carson and picked up a couple of rods. Their new Ultra Mag is the lightest rod I’ve ever held in my hand yet it still has an unbelievable backbone. The show is over, but you can check them out at www.waterloorods.com. Hooking up with these guys is one of the best moves I’ve ever made. After that, I made my rounds visiting with a few friends then popped into the Fish Slick booth and visited with Erick Burke for a while. Their stringers are the only ones I’ll use for several reasons. They are tough and they don’t tangle. With their slick coating your fish will slide right off of them into an ice chest or a live well if you’re in a tournament. I grabbed a couple of more stringers for my upcoming wade trips then called it a night. You can check them out at www.fishslick.com.

March 10th – Cancelled because of bad weather and wind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hillman Guide Service Forum Index -> Hillman Guide Service Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: